Minnesotas No Smoking Law

@webeishere (36353)
The State of Minnesota enacted a no smoking law in ALL public buildings, and public transportation that went into effect Monday October 1st. I am a smoker & am not planning on giving it up just yet due to this law. This new law has affected me already in a most unual way. Although A.A. is a private "club" we still allow the public in if they want help with the alcoholism etc. So in actuallity we are a "public" building according to the state law. Since Monday when this law took effect the A.A. club has been void of some of my very best friends due to the law. They as most alcoholics are are smokers & they prefer not to go there. Now I still do go there but I go outside ever so often for a smoke break. Once it gets really cold though I will choose to avoid the clubs except for my meetings. I will attend a meetting then leave right after chatting a few minutes. There used to be a lot of friends sitting chatting in the club. A lot of card playing. But now with the new smoking ban Statewide it's gotten really slow in the club as far as chatting weith friends there etc. Now I can only imagine how it's affected the American Legions, VFW's, Moose Lodges, Elk Clubs, and other types of clubs along this line. That's all I have to say. Now I need a smoke. HAHAHAHA! Have a great day/evening all. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@thefortunes (2368)
• Netherlands
Hi GP Bob, I hear yah, and have to tell you that because of the US - all the world follows, and everywhere in the EU they started implementing such laws. I can understand it, but do not accept it due to being a smoker myself. If and when they bann the smoking in bars and restaurants totally I will not go spending my money there no more. This is it for me, really. I'd love to stop, but since I havent been able to - than I need to be able to smoke while spnding my cash for food and drinks, and dont see the problem if there are separated rooms for smokers and non smokers They instead are trying to consider us and comport towards us just like we are criminals and I simply get sick and tired of it all, and do not accept it at all. And I understand you perfectly too. I am waiting for the day that we will be forbidden to smoke in our own homes. Shooooot ;/ TheFortunes
@webeishere (36353)
I quit many years ago going to two different restaraunts when they went smoke free. Now I can't go out to eat and enjoy a cup of coffee with a smoke after the meal anywhere at all in Minnesota. Unless I take my coffee outside. Hmmphhh! I can't nor am I ready to stop. But..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Feona1962 (7527)
If people aren't showing up because they can't smoke then that will hurt there talk time with fellow friends...I hope this doesn't cause a problem as far as going back to drinking because of not going to the meetings..I am just concerned for all of you...I hope you understand what I mean....
@webeishere (36353)
No iot won't affect my feelings about drinking at all. not smoking won't cause that to happen. Meetings are short enough to go without a smoke. It's just it won't be the same sitting inside playing cards and chatting without a smoke dangling from my mouth. HAHAHAHA!! HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Feona1962 (7527)
Hi, hey I don't want you to think I thought you would go back to drinking..I don't know much about the meetings but from what I think I know, everyone gets together and talk about whatever is going on..If someone gets the urge to drink they go to relieve that urge, by talking to fellow friends..Please, please correct me if I am wrong...thank you...
I wish they'd outlaw it here. I had to take my daughter for xrays a couple of weeks ago at the local hospital (for pneumonia) and there were some idiots sitting right outside the door, smoking. I don't care if someone smokes in their own car or home, but that's where it should stay. We had to walk right past those losers who were smoking..they didn't give a care that there were probably people walking by who didn't need to be exposed to that. So kudos to MN for their no smoking law!
@webeishere (36353)
It should be a no smoking area the entrances to hospitals. I would have mentioned it to someone there. There's no smoking on the hospital grounds at all in Minnesota. They even have the no smoking sign painted on the roads coming into the hospital property. Thanks for the input. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
I don't know if they had permission to smoke there or not. There were no smoking signs posted right at the door though. I know that at one hospital in a neigboring city, there is no smoking 25 feet in front of the entrance. Just to clarify, I'm not saying all smokers are losers, just the ones who think it's ok to stand in front of the hospital entrance and smoke.
@BlueAngelRS (2899)
I am a smoker too and I hear you I live in Canada where they have taken out smoking in all public places including restaurants and bars and cassinos...Honestly majority of the people that goes to the bars and such are smokers...I've heard that even restaurants that had well ventilated smoking areas with closed doors have been shut down...What the heck? The smoke is not getting to the rest of the public and there are great fans to reduce the amount of smoke what is the problem?? I can understand non smokers not wanting to breath the smoke but to cut out well ventilated areas for smokers is just unreal.
@webeishere (36353)
marcia is correct. The ban is mostly for the prtection of employess from second hand smoke. Now as far as Casinos here in Minnesota. They're owned by Native American Indians and sit on Indian owned land so it does not affect them at all. Theres still smoking allowed there. They have added a lot more area for non smoking slots and card games though. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
I can definatly see the point there for the employees as they are there serving and walking in and out of the smoking area all the time so that makes sense...I noticed though for sitting there for hours having coffee with a friend one night the venitalation wasn't too bad but it can still if not taken care of get hazey...
@mizrae (587)
Michigan has the same law it sounds like. At the local hospital now though YOU have to leave the hospital grounds. You can't even smoke outside the doors.
@webeishere (36353)
It's been that way at the hospitals here for many years. No smoking on the hospital property at all. As you drive in theres that red circle with a cig painted on the road saying no smoking. HAHAHA! Seems they went all out huh? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@usmcsgtwife (4997)
being a non smoker I have to agree with the law, they have the same law in place here in California and where my parents live in Ohio, I used to hate going to the bars and coming home smelling like the smoke, it took forever to get the smell out of my clothes, I know smokers shoiuld have rights also, and I do agree with allowing smoking on outdoor patios at bars and eating places,
@blackbriar (9080)
The bars are going to be the ones that will suffer bigtime here when the law goes into effect Jan 1. Most bar owners here are smokers themselves. What? They gonna have to close up the bar every time the barkeeper/owner wants to smoke? -laughing- This is going to be interesting.
@mummymo (23707)
Well sweety England put such a ban in place this summer but here in Scotland we have had the same ban in force for several years! Not only public buildings and transport but also company vehicles etc, also if you live in a rented council house you are not sllowed to smoke in it for a certain number of hours before workmen are due! I can understand how you feel Grandpa Bob and it still isn't great but you do eventually get used to it although having said that the pub I work still isn't as busy as it was before the ban! xxxx
@MsTickle (25067)
Isn't it strange....? Smokers can go all night while they sleep without a ciggy with no discomfort or ill effects yet they will choose a few puffs over friendship. Guess what? It won't kill them if they go without for a while as they chat with friends...people don't die from not smoking. Yes, i'm a reformed smoker. LOL.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I'm a smoker too Grandpa but I know the affects of smoking but yet I'm addited to it as well. I'd love to quit some day and will but want to do it before I lose my father because it's his highest wish, to see his daughter quit. It's going to be hard on these business for they will lose a lot of patrons but what about the nonsmokers? They have a right to breathe clean fresh air and not second hand smoke and we smokers need to quit so we don't have to go outside in the cold anymore. I do feel pushed "out the door" but at the same time I understand the reason too.
@flowerchilde (12538)
I think some state's big bro is getting too big fer his britches. How much public is there in the AA hall except those who once benefited from it? Besides, there is such a thing as modern ventilation.