I'd like to try freelance writing...

But I'm not to sure how to begin. I joined getafreelancer but it all looks so intimidating! Does anybody else do this that can give me some advice on making that first bid, etc? Appreciate it!!
@taylorblue (1286)
All the jobs I have are from getafreelancer...I know it looks scary. I still don't know about the bids...Here's an example of what I do. If the job says the budget they have is between $30-100 look at the average bid near the bottom. It tells you that. Sometimes bidding low will win it sometimes not. I usually put this in the bidding section. Hi. I am really interested in the job see you PM for details. Then at the top beside their name it says post PM. There you would put how you think you are qualified. If you are new tell them. They will understand...Good luck!!!
Thank you so much! Was it tough to get your first assignment though? I look at all of the bids that are already on a project and I get a little discouraged. I will try & see what happens. Thanks again!
Yup it was ... but don't get put off...I have won about 7 bids.. If I can do it than you can too!
I tried making a couple bids today so we'll see how that all goes. Do they send a e-mail to you or something if you win the bid? Sorry so many questions =) Thanks again!!
@tigertang (1750)
One of the tricks to being a successful freelancer is the fact that you need a portfolio of work to show potential clients. When you start you should never be afraid to show off your writing ability and your ability to think. Participating in forums like this one is a good place to get yourself known and working on getafreelancer is also good. You should also not forget the "real World' media in addition to your online stuff. Write regularly, even if you don't get paid at first, you need to get noticed by people like editors. Write letters to complain about all sorts of silly issues if you have to. Eventually you'll get published and once you get published in the press, the other rounds are easier. When you get a foothold with the main press, you also get noticed by commercial oranisations and you can hawk yourself as a freelance writer to these people. - Keep writing and sooner or later someone will notice your talent.
I have been writing online for a few months on triond & helium, etc but I'd like to make a little more money with my writing cause I really enjoy doing it. Thank you for your help!