Zap! Zap! Zap!

Static Shocks... - Static Shocks...
@twoey68 (13627)
United States
October 12, 2007 11:01am CST
I went to Walmarts the other day to do shopping and by the time I left I was ready to wring someone's neck for no reason. I started shopping and every couple of items I'd get a little shock off the item. At first, it didn't bother me too much b/c sometimes that happens but after a few minutes I started getting shocked off EVERYTHING!! I even got shocked off a bag of cereal. Everytime I touched something...shock!! By this time, I was getting ticked off. My fingertips were hurting and I was getting a headache. I finally gave up half way through my shopping and decided to leave the store. I didn't get shocked much putting the stuff up on the counter...a few times but not as much. Hubby thought maybe static electricity in my clothes but nope. Usually I only have this happen when I'm on carpeting but this was on regular Walmart flooring. Has anything like this ever happened to you? Have you ever been shocked so much that you actually hurt and get a headache from it? **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
15 people like this
38 responses
@carolbee (16230)
• United States
12 Oct 07
This problem happens to me all the time in the colder months and primarily when I am walking on carpeting. It's more noticeable when I am out and about and doesn't happen quite as much at home. Yes, it is very annoying. Fabric softener doesn't really seem to help my problem. I do use it all the time so am wondering why all the shocks in the cooler months. Does this happen to you in the summer time?
@carolbee (16230)
• United States
12 Oct 07
Oops, forgot to mention something. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the shoes we wear. I don't have quite as much trouble when wearing tennis shoes.
3 people like this
@kareng (54130)
• United States
12 Oct 07
This is really weird, but the very same thing happened to me earlier this week in WALMART!!! I was only picking up a handful of things but I got shocked from each and every thing I picked up and put in my basket! I was also getting ticked and probably would have left early if I were doing a long shopping. That reeks. Now I have to wonder...were we in the same store?? I'm in Louisiana--Baton Rouge area.
@Polly1 (12645)
• United States
12 Oct 07
Wow, you are not going to believe this, but it is true. The last few times I have been to Walmart I have been getting zapped. I have been getting big zaps too. I haven't had this happen to me in ages. I wouldn't have even thought of it except for your comments. Thats kind of spooky, ooooo. I even had rubber shoes on, so I don't know why it was happening to me. I know they are remoldeling the store, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
3 people like this
@mirage108 (3402)
• United States
12 Oct 07
Yes that has happened to me one time at walmart and it was the shopping cart. I would be pushing it along and get that zap, and it would keep happening. not me either as it was only with that cart.
3 people like this
@Lakota12 (42600)
• United States
12 Oct 07
no but I do hate getting shocked when there should be no static around and the only thing it can be is our clothes or our own bodies and thats something else to get shocked by every thing that can really make you sick so sorry this hapen to you I know put static free dryer sheets in my clothes
3 people like this
@CatsandDogs (13963)
• United States
12 Oct 07
YES!! Yes yes yes!! I have!! Gosh I'm not alone afterall! I'd be somewhere and the next thing I know I'm getting shocked and everything I touch I'd get shocked. Once I was shocked so many times that when I was shocked by my car door I slammed it so hard that I nearly broke the window. I'd had enough for it hurts! Eventually it went away but I never know what the cause is. It's not the flooring either for it's on asphalt, concrete, or regular title flooring so it makes no sense.
3 people like this
@lilaclady (28207)
• Australia
12 Oct 07
OMG that must have been awful, hasn't that got something to do with the shoes your wearing, not sure. This did happen to me once but on a completely different level, quite some year ago, when I was at the start of my very long crush on a singer I saw on television, the very first concert I went to, he was singing on stage and he went along and took the hand of the girls standing at the stage and held their hand for awhile when he took mine I got the hugest electric shock ever now I look back and because of my spiritual beliefs like tto think it wa a sign of a special connection between us as in later life we actually got together unfortunately in het last eighteen months of his life but I look back on that day and I like to think it was a sign of meant to be but I guess that wouldn't be the same as picking up a cereal box hey....hahahahah
@Shaun72 (15959)
• Palatka, Florida
13 Oct 07
When I woked at Walmart it did to me alot. I worked in the shoe department and it has carpet in that part the rest of the store is regular flooring so when I had a buggy full of shoes and I went from the carpet to the regular floor i was all the time getting shocked there at work. Espically during this time of year when the weather starts dropping cold.
• United States
12 Oct 07
I do get shocked sometimes but never so much that I actually hurt and get a headache from it. Maybe it was what you were wearing, I don't know. It usually happens to me when I'm on carpet.
2 people like this
@cassidy22 (2974)
• United States
12 Oct 07
Take a look at the clothes you were wearing and HOW you walk. I work in an office with special anti-static tile flooring, because we do sensitive electrical cicuitry work. But I still get shocked. I realized I was wearing fuzzy lined shoes, with socks, and that I shuffled my feet. Shuffling my feet allowed the static to build up between my socks and my shoes - and any time I touched metal or a person, there would be a shock. You don't have to be walking on carpet to get shocked... but it does help to pick up your feet and not shuffle them, and make sure your shoes are not loose fitting.
3 people like this
@jillmalitz (5131)
• United States
12 Oct 07
We have had that happen several times. I noticed that WalMart started putting carts that were plastic coated and have not had any problems since. I steet clear of the carts that dont have the metal covered.
2 people like this
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
13 Oct 07
Nope, can't say that it has. Perhaps, you should see a specialist or something of that nature. Start with a head doctor and work your way down,LOL. I sure hope you have a sense of humor. That has only happened to me on carpet. Sometimes when I am putting on fleshly laundered clothes, I hear a pop. I have also experienced it when touching someones hand. I am quite sure that there is a good explanation for what happen. I hope you can find out to put your mind at ease. Come back and let us know if you find out anything. I may look something up as well.
2 people like this
@naty1941 (2336)
• United States
12 Oct 07
Never it must be awful. It must have felt like shock therapy. Maybe there was something in your clothes that gave off static electricity.
3 people like this
@OURDEW (4809)
• United States
12 Oct 07
That seems really strange. I have gotten shocked many different times but only from the carpet or clothes from the dryer but never at a store or so many time at once. Did you ask anyone if they were getting shocked also? I am going to Walmart today, and I'm sure I will be thinking about this.:)
3 people like this
• United States
13 Oct 07
This is from rubbing the soles of your feet along the floors. I wonder if there is some chemical they use to wax the floors with that makes this happen.
1 person likes this
@meme0907 (3481)
• United States
16 Oct 07
Hey t68, you're electric-now you can do the electric slide |;) +'s |:)
1 person likes this
@arkaf61 (10881)
• Canada
16 Oct 07
Oh my, it never happened to me at walmart. It usually does happen to me in carpeted places, not in regular floors. ALthough this never happened to me at walmart, I recall one time that I visited Montreal that I wasn't able to leave my hotel room. Every time I touched the door knob to open the door I would get zapped big time. But then again there was carpet on the floor.
@Modestah (11179)
• United States
8 Dec 07
it happens to me at the commissary - no matter the season I always get shocked there - especially near the frozen foods. the last time, my daughter was riding in the car and not touching anything and kept giving me shocks from her finger... how can that be? I could see if she were walking along on the carpet scuffing her feet but riding in the cart? must be some really dry air out there!
1 person likes this
@carolscash (9492)
• United States
14 Oct 07
Well, I don't shop at Wal-Mart so I don't have any way to compare if it happens there,but I do know that I had a van one time that I got shocked every time that I shut the door. I know that it hurt and that it didn't matter where I was or what I was wearing. I wonder if it was something in the store though if every thing that you touched was shocking you and it seems as though several others have experienced the same thing in Wal-Mart.
@mouse27 (1155)
• Canada
15 Oct 07
can't say this has ever hapened to me but that must've sucked for you
1 person likes this