If wrestling is fake and a bunch of acting, why...

Why do people spend so much time and money watching and go to wrestling matches. I have seen a couple and it seems bloody and all but ..I am told this is all acting. What do people get out of seeing people wrestle?????
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Think of it as if it's a man's soap opera and then it makes a little more sense. There are millions of women out there who just can't miss their "soaps" even though they are all fake and ating. Wrestling is exactly the ssame only with violence to appeal to men....ok I KNOW those are stereotypes so don't jump all over me but it is a fact that mostly women like soaps and mostly men like wrestling. Also, while a lot is fake they do sometimes get hurt for real...Cena is out for awhile because of real injuries, the one woman (I forgot her name) just got hurt for real in a match a few weeks ago...there are several more I can think of that have been injured for real in the past too.
Actually not all women like soaps..that is as you say a stereotype.. You don't see kids sitting and watching soaps..but kids are hauled to wrestling and they even imitate these people as heros.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I know, that is why I said it was was a stereotype and that it is "mostly women" that watch soaps....rather than ALL women love soaps. There are plenty of shows that kids watch that are also not real and full of acting, how are they different? I do get what you are saying though about wrestling being full of unnecessary violence. But that's the point, that's the appeal. Soaps are full of more romantic scenes than are really necessary, children's shows have more silliness and antics than necessary...because that's what attracts viewers. Should children watch wrestling? Hmmm...would you have a problem with a child being at a hockey game? Those guys are getting hurt for real, on purpose, out of anger rather than getting fake injuries for the sake of a made up story line.
Think about it..do you like your kid watching violence..if so then that is your preference..you are part of the education of your young one.. You may think seeig so much violence may play no affect on their behaviour..but psychologists will say different.. This is only a discussion and you have your opinion..and I thank you..but I hold to mine.. ..violence begets violence.. I don't deny the other shows have not help shape the minds of the young and old alike..Like soaps..make it appear that it's alright to jump from one bed to another..
@kodie420 (872)
Yes wrestling is all acting and they are following a script. I'm like you I have no idea why so many people get into something so fake and spend millions of dollars on it. I guess some people really enjoy that form of entertainment but to me its to fake and I can't believe some of the stuff they do if front of kids on some of those wrestling matches.
@estherlou (5017)
I watch a show called Hogan Knows best sometimes. It is about Hulk Hogan and his family. There was a couple of episodes where he was going back into the ring. And there was one where his son wanted to check it all out. Anyway, Hulk showed where what they do...the moves...may be choreographed, but the body slams and everything are quite real. He is actually pretty banged up with lots of injuries and surgeries from his years in wrestling.
@wiccania (3360)
The storylines and yelling at each other is acting, many of the "big moves" are choreographed in a way that prevents people from getting seriously hurt, but it is very athletic. I know people who describe it as soap operas for guys, because some of the stort lines are very followable and some of hte ones I've seen have been kind of interesting. It does require a serious degree of athleticism to be really good at it, you can't do a lot of the moves they do unless you're in good shape and agile. It might not be "real" but it can be entertaining and fascinating.
@babostwick (2037)
I've not been to many live events but I think it has something to do with appeal. I guess for some it's an excitment of actually being there live. I'd say it's more predetermined than anything because every now and then there are injuries. I believe they actually do bleed especially right on the head and other body parts as well. It can get messy and I think the only real way to say it is if you watch it, you won't need an explaination. For those who don't, no explaination will do. This quote came from a documentary called The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling. To answer the question, probably the excitment when they come to town. That would be my guess.