REading lately?

Why do people read so much? What can it do to us? I was trying to figure this out while reading a book. reading books gives me headaches
@Postrock (273)
It is proven that reading quality literature makes people more intelligent.
@Perry2007 (2229)
Reading helps you feed your brain with information, well you can watch, listen to audio learn from so many resourcess. But when you read there is more focus to the material you read, you immagine and even paint a picture from words, your comprehension and other senses are working so, keep reading. you will be able to tell the difference. Hey.. accept my friends request so we can send each other PM. Have a great day and God Bless
If you are getting headaches from reading, go and have your eyes tested and try to read in better light. More natural is possible. People read as a form of catching up on the news of family, friends and the world news. It can also be an escape from the 'real world' for a wile. Reading also expands our knowledge and can keep our minds sharp, reducing the risk of dementia and other memory loss diseases in later life. If you can't read a book, like a novel, get a poetry book and see how you go with that. It is easy to put down after a few poems. There are many different types of poems these days, and most tell a story in themselves. There are also books on the net called e-books, and some of these are free to download.
@Sungolian (377)
I do it when I'm on a train or bus and there's nothing else to do. I figure I might as well increase my knowledge about something. Any knowledge is probably better than no knowledge. I agree though, that books require a lot more energy and effort than reading short magazine articles or watchting TV shows and movies.