My sister's house was on fire!

A burning house is truly scaring! - After the incident involving my sister's house, we realized that such could happen to anyone is we are not careful. The best remedy is to avoid using candles...if ever, it should never be left unattended. If not, it's better not to light it. Now the saying is true...it's better to stumble in the dark, than to light a candle, right?
@psyche49f (2504)
Philippines
November 17, 2007 5:17am CST
It was around 7 P.M. when there was a brown out...so her son went to his room to sleep. When he does, he usually locks the door, and which he did. He was in deep slumber when my sister smelled something burning. To her horror, she realized that the fire was in her son's room, and even with a loud shout and banging of the door won't wake him up. As she panicked, my sister did not lose her presence of mind. While shouting for help from neighbors, she was also doing firefighting: She poured water to the burning printer and computer from the outside since his son was really sound asleep and did not wake up! Averting a near disaster, my sister was able to put out the fire even before the neighbors arrived to help! She practically saved her son's life--my nephew! And the cause of the fire? The candle which he brought with him before he fell into deep slumber. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from the incident. I even pictured a scenario when instead of being home that time, what if my sister was not around? The answer is spine-chilling. Now, we swore never to use a candle again when there's a brown out. We have already 1 rechargeable lamp, but we planned to buy 1 or 2 more. We can also use flashlights instead of candles. What about you? Have you tried something like this? Please share....
4 people like this
11 responses
• Philippines
19 Nov 07
Whew! i hope your nephew is fine now and your sister too. Yup better to use rechargeable lamp, better have 2 or 3 in the house. Thank God, i never experienced that one... but my students did... march of 2005 in their boarding house just few days before they graduate for college diploma. Was shocked when they called me up. it happened during the night too. Good thing none of my students were hurt but all their belongings got caught up in the fire. We had to raise some money then to buy them formal clothes and shoes for graduation. One of my students graduated with high honors, now she's in a top IT company in Manila. We still call each other and laugh every time we remember the incident.
@pyewacket (44032)
• United States
18 Nov 07
What a horrible ordeal and it was good that your sister keep her cool and was able to avert further disasters. I burn candles myself but I'm always careful and never have them lit when I'm going to bed. I had a fire in my apartment years ago, but not from candles. It must have been about ten years ago, and it was the fourth of July, and I had just come home...it was around eight o'clock at night. My mom was in the kitchen and I went into the bathroom to change the kitty litter pan. All of a sudden the light in the bathroom went "funny" So I left to go to the kitchen to ask my mom if the lights had gone weird out here too, just as I got to the kitchen door to ask her, boom, one half of the apartment goes dark. So I figure, oh, fuse blow. But then something compelled me to look into our bedroom. Uh, we're not talking about a little smoking or sparking, but hugh FLAMES radiating out from one of the electrical outlets. I ran into the kitchen and got my bag of flour...I had always remembered flour was good to put out grease fires in kitchen but figured it would work here as I didn't think dousing out a fire from an outlet too keen to do. So I'm throwing the flour out at the fire, and it worked, it snuffed it out, but my mattress had caught on fire too and yanked it off the bed, and doused that with the flour too, and the boxsrping which also had caught. Now I'm running and getting a bucket type thing to fill with water to douse the box spring out. It took a full half hour to put out the flames on that In the meantime, my mother's rooted! She didn't move a muscle--she never DID do well in crisis situations! LOL Now, you may ask, why didn't we call the fire dept? Wouldn't have done a bit of good. For many years, up until only recently, the fire hydrants on our block didn't work at all. Only a few years ago, one apt was completely gutted with flames cause the fire dept couldn't hook up to any fire hydrants and had to call special units of fire trucks that had water in them...by the time they came the fire was out of control in that apartment. And a neighbor of ours who knew the family that lost their apt to the fire said their fire started exactly the same way as ours. Gee, good thing I remembered about that flour trick..LOL
@citygirl (1081)
• Canada
18 Nov 07
What a night mare that must have been for your sister. My God I can imagine how she must have been feeling at the time , the terror she was in. I guess that is a good lesson to use in using candles, thank for shareing and making us aware again of the risks of candles.I will definately be going out to by a rechargable lamp and some flash lite . Take care and thanks again for sharing.
• United States
18 Nov 07
I know what this is like. Luckily, my house has never been on fire, but I did have a lot of close calls. We only use candles around my house now, when there are a lot of people present, and we are doing some special. Other than that, it is flashlights for us all. Tell your sister that I am sorry for her loss.
@lingli_78 (12834)
• Australia
18 Nov 07
i never been allowed to use candle by my parents inside my room for this reason... if there is a black out which is quite often happen in my country, we use candle but only outside the bedroom and if we want to go to sleep, all the candles have to be off... so we sleep in total darkness or only use a flashlight... i'm glad that nothing happen to your nephew...
@cloudage (51)
• United States
17 Nov 07
I'm so glad your nephew is ok, that must be the most scary experience for your sister. I had the kitchen on fire one Christmas. In my family we always warm up animal fat, and I completely forgot about it. So as we're eating we suddenly smell something burning. Luckily I got there soon enough so I could throw out the burning pan from the window and kill the fire over the stove. Fires are always scary.
@Lakota12 (42681)
• United States
17 Nov 07
Sorry to hear this but he should have blown out the candle before laying down. am hoping he is ok and didnt get hurt from the smoke . Did they ever get him awake and out of there after the fire got put out did the get him checked for smoke damage. It only takes like 47 secounds for the smoke to smother and kill. This kid was very lucky if he is ok. But for sure wouldnt have candles any more during a brown out. or black out. and if ya do have to have them make it a rule to blow them out before going to sleep!
• India
17 Nov 07
no till now it didnt happened with me but when i was child in our house that time furniture work was going in our house n all plywood cuttings and dust of it was ket a side that time i was trying to burn a peace of paper with a match stick and i burned that paper and after some time what all cuttings and dust of plywood also got burned i was scared and went in a room and sit in a corner and i didnt told any one the ma parents smelled something is burning then the come and called nebours for help and took buckets of water and then they controled on that fire that time i was too scared after that i was scaring to fine till 3 to 5 yrs now i dont
@lucky_witch (2710)
• Philippines
17 Nov 07
Well, another thing that we should always remember is having a duplicate key for every room in the house in case situation like this happen. And also, we could use candles but only on open place. WE put candles in a stand then let it stand in the middle of a big glass bowl with water is it. so just in case it drop, it will drop in the bowl with water.
@williamjisir (22887)
• China
17 Nov 07
Hello payche. It is too dangerous for a kid to sleep with a candle burning. I think that it is a wise idea not to use candles but a rechargeable lamp instead. Anyway it is relieving that your nephew is safe from the fire. Be more careful, dear friend.
@irene_27 (543)
• Philippines
17 Nov 07
I live on the second floor of a two storey house and the ground floor house was nearly set on fire just this afternoon. I was watching my favorite noontime show when i heard some commotions and door banging downstairs. When i went down to inspect, i saw that my neighbors were in panic because smoke and burnt smell had been coming out from back window of the house downstairs. The family living there was out so the men have to forcibly open the door. They saw something burning on top of the gas stove. It turned out that someone had sterilized feeding bottles by boiling it and apparently left with the stove still on. It was quite a while after it dawned on me that i was actually in serious trouble hadn't it been prevented. It's the first time i had experienced something like this and it's really scary.