Here's a "hope you're very gullible or just overly and stupidly nice" scam..

@coffeebreak (17815)
I went to get gas today. While pumping, this girl walks up to me - won't mention heritage but she looked nice, casually dressed. She told me she was wondering if I could help her with a little bit of money to get gas. She was over here "from the ghettos" and needed gas to get back and her car is right there (she idolly waved her hand in the "over there" direction) . Well, where "the ghettos" are or what they are this day and age, I don't know excactly , but if you live in what generally understands as is "ghetto", this girl was far to well dressed to be part of the ghetto to expect a hand out. But these days, everyone is scamming like this to get free money and I have been approached like this before - at this same station - so I just say no, or in this case I said "I scrounged for a week to get this little bit for my own gas, sorry i can't help you." So out of the corner of my eye, I watched her walk to the car just up and across from me - a rather new, full size suburban. She stood at the driver window and I thought she was talking to the person in the car. Well, there not only was no person in the car but th window was up. So I'm thinking .hum.. odd... and then she stands there for a while and then walks to the guy at the pump to the other side of me - I stopped watching to take the pump out of my car and when I turned back, he apparently was giving her money. He looked worse off than her in a junky car! Just grips me that people do this and even more that people go along with it. Just watch out while you gas up!
@drannhh (15235)
LOL, that is what you get for making eye-contact with people. Yeppers, I've seen a few scruffy looking people sneak into their beemers and drive off with the suckers' money, too, but I don't talk to them. Isn't that sort of thing illegal where you live?
@coffeebreak (17815)
Pan handling is illegal ---- if you get caught. I guess this would be the same thing. I had thought about goig into the store to tell the employee, but after seeing him when I paid for the gas (I interupted his game boy game) I don't think he would have done anything about it, so I just drove off. I do keep to myself but at the same time, look around where I am to see if there is anything questionable. This one guy did this same thing and he was dressed in a nice suit! This is a Union 76 station and it offers reduced price for gas if you pay cash. 7 cents to 10 cents per gallon less for cash! Yesterday is was 10 cents and with gas at $3.31 minimum here, 10 cents is a good deal. I usually pull to the pump closest to the store - in this case I was on the end on as it was full. I think the person that gives the money is the idiot.
@drannhh (15235)
So do I, because if one reaches into a pocket or wallet and someone who comes up like that sees a person has cash, they are more likely, I think, to harm the person. Who knows what the stranger has hidden in a pocket. It is most unfortunate, but in the world we live in now, it is best to keep a cool distance between oneself and strangers.