How good is your writing, could you write a book without using the letter "e"

Once again on the search for interesting topics I ran across an interesting fact. There was a guy named Earnest Vincent Wright who wrote an entire novel called Gadsby without ever using the letter "e". The story he wrote had over 50000 word and with the exception of the introduction and the note at the end he did not use the letter "e" at all in the body of the book. Here the thing every word was spelled correctly and it was grammatically correct. Do you think you could do that, I think I used about fifty "e"'s in this post alone.
Well that just amazes me! That's so cool. I'm pretty sure I couldnt do that! LOL I'm going to check this book out too, I would like to see this. I can't imagine not using a single "e", like you said it's used often in most common words. 50,000 is quite a bit too. I wonder how long it took him to write this book. Off to do some research! Bay Lay Gray xx
Did you find any good information when you did your Research and were you able to do it without the letter e
Hello I did!!! http://www.spinelessbooks.com/gadsby/ This link is actually the whole book I'm thinking. I also learned that this book is called a lipogram.(A work of writing that deliberately excludes particular letters is called a lipogram) I didn't know that. I have not attempted to write anything without the letter E. LOL They say its used 5 times as much as any other vowel when writting. This was a great discussion! Thank you so much for the information. Bay xx
@ssh123 (31096)
It is difficult to write a book or a paragraph without using letter e. Vowels are very important for the language and what you have mentioned is really amazing. I should try to place my hand on that book out of curiosity. I was a copy editor in an international publishing house and I used to practically go through the books authored by many and varied personalities. Book writing is a great art. I can write only articles of 200 to 2000 words.
I think it would be, because I cant seem to finish the one I am working on. But really its because I am doing so many things that I hardly have time for myself.
@salam1 (1474)
great stuff, this guy has three 'e' is his name still he can write a novel without using the letter!
@KrauseHome (36340)
Wow, this is an interesting thought. I am not sure if even if I thought of it, I could even type 20 words in a sentence without any e's in them let alone a whole book. That is an interesting topic you have researched though for sure.
Well, that is really a piece of interesting information. I think even the native English speakers can do it. In Chinese language, if you want to avoice one character, you can easily do it by substituting it with several alternatives, but in English, this is hard, as the 26 letters are indispensable in writing a passage most of the time. So, just leave this riddle to the lexicologiests.
@Kowgirl (3490)
I didn't even notice that when I looked over this book years ago. I visited the website and again when you start reading you get too absorbed in the story to notice. He certainly is good at what he does. It just goes to show you that when you set your mind to do something, no matter how hard ,you can do it. I learn something new everyday right here on mylot. Thanks guys for keeping my mind alert. Merry Christmas Kowgirl
@williamjisir (22901)
The writer is really great in writing a book without using a single word with e. I don't think that I can ever do that as English is not my native language. Even if it were, I would still have much more difficulty in writing so without e in the words. I believe that he is a great talent in using the language. Thanks for your interesting information about this.
@xboxboy (5578)
was it a bust sillar?