Introducing a new cat into a household that has a dog.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to introduce a new cat that was a stray into a household that already has a dog. The dog doesn't seem to mind the cat, but the cat is really afraid of the dog. Tried putting the cat in a large cage and letting them get used to each other thru the cage. Any other ideas?
My sister is trying to do this very same thing. She has the stray brother of my stray cat. The mother is living in my basement with her new litter. She has a bowl outside of her apt door. The cat is getting food and water also milk put in the bowl daily. Scrappy the dog sniffs under the door to smell the cat all the time. Then she will let the cat in for a few minutes. The cats always strikes out at scrappy. My sister just keeps doing this more and more each day. Now scrappy is getting use to the cat. And the cat is surely getting further in the house each time. She is letting the family touch her more as well. It is very hard once the dog is living there alone and knows it's the cat that is the outsider. Keep doing what you can the cats are just all over the place with no homes.
I wish you sister success with her stray. Thanks for the comment, glad to know that taking it slow is the best way to go for now.
@solson (406)
Just put the dog and the cat in seprate cages facing each other and then let them sit for like and hour then take them out together and let them roam try that it might work it might not but might be worth it.
Thanks for the idea,,,,,,,i'll give it a try.