Do you buy your kids too many toys?

@neelygal (1022)
Bahamas
Why do you think parents buy their kids so many toys?Do you do it? I confess that I do,I also give them away when I buy them new ones and they stop playing with the old ones. Do you give your kids toys away?To whom do you give them?
when they were little i used to buy them a lot,but now that they are a little bigger i buy only what they need and what i can afford.yes i give old toys to schools,neighbors and churchmate. my reason for buying my kids a lot of toys are,,to compensate the distance between them,to have them experience what i didnt when i was a little kid like them,to make them feel extra special.
@carolbee (16231)
I did buy alot when they were young. Part of it was just to entertain them or a game the 3 of them could play together. Now we have grandkids and I find myself buying things that are not just toys but something they can learn from and also enjoy. Spend more money on Baby Einstein videos instead of a toy they will break in no time. Our daughter prefers this sort of gift for her kids. After three girls, our toys weren't worth trying to salvage by giving them away. Most often trashed them.
@lilybug (21145)
I used to be really bad about buying my son toys all the time. It got to where he had WAY too many. He still has way too many toys. I tried getting him to weed through them and pick which ones he wants to get rid of, but he keeps saying that his little sister can have it as an excuse to keep them around. I have not bought very many toys for my daughter yet, but she is only 11 months. She likes her brothers toys better than anything else anyway.
@Sissygrl (10914)
freecycle logo - I love this site. freecycle.org
I buymy daughter a lot of toys, but i also buy her a lot of clothes lol. I dunno what i buy more of.. I haven't been giving the infant toys away just yet, because i have another girl (we think) on the way. So i am keeping my daughters toys for the new baby, and clothes too.:) We will get some good use out of them first before we give them away. And when we do give them away it will be either to someone whom we know having kids, or possibly on freecycle. If you have read any of my posts about giving stuff away i LOVE freecycle;)
@kdhartford (1152)
Yes, I buy my kids too much stuff. It is almost a disease, I know I'm sick. Gone are the days when kids are facinated by scrap lumber pieces painted bright colors. When I was a kid, my dad dropped off a bunch of wood and a box of tools and I was slap happy. I made all kinds of stuff.