slow cookers or crock pots

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
Do you have a slow cooker? We plan to get one and I was wondering if any mylotters have some yummy recipes. This cold weather always gets me thinking of soups and stews. MMMnn and shepard's pie. Not that this last is a crock pot thing.
@SukiSmiles (1998)
I have a crock pot, it's a good size one. Since I can't copy & paste anything yet, I can't put any recipes in here - that would be way too much typing for me. But I usually make spaghetti sauce, beaf stew, chili, roast pork or beef, chicken adobe or other chicken dish in the crock pot. The only thing I haven't tried is dessert food.
I have a crockpot, too. I have a great size one. I cook lots of stuff in there, too. It is really awesome to cook that way. I love baking/broiling, too. It is a lot better than frying on stove. It is a lot better than a deep fryer. I never prefer a deep fryer at all.
• Abernathy, Texas
Can you make dessert food in a crock pot? Totally didn't know that. Sounds like you're an expert crock pot cook!
@toosh21 (800)
I LOVE my slow cooker - I use it all the time! I cook soups, stews/casseroles, corned beef - all sorts. You can really make almost anything in them, let your imagination run wild!
• Abernathy, Texas
It will likely be my husband who cooks in it - he's the one who likes cooking. I make sweet potato fries - for the baby, protein pasta and baked chicken. :)
@Adelida2233 (1008)
Check out Allrecipes.com and Recipes.com they both have tons of slow-cooker recipes. I also look at the Food Network recipes and convert them to slow cooker recipes. I only make a few dishes with mine, and I dont really measure anything. Thats the beauty of the slow-cooker. Queso Dip One large block of Velveeta cheese(the huge $11 one) 1 or 2 cans Rotel chopped salsa(get mild, medium or hot whichever you prefer) 1 or 2 packages of hamburger or sausage(depending on how thick you want it) onion(optional) Tons of Tortilla Chips thats it Cut up the velveeta in little cubes to make it easier to melt. Dump into Crock Pot. Brown hamburger (and optional onion) in pan. Once fully cooked, dump in crock pot. Drain water from Rotel cans. Dump into Crock pot. As velveeta melts, stir everything together. This will be a giant mess until the Velveeta is fully melted so dont worry if it doesnt look right. I leave the Crock Pot on high until everything is melted then turn it to low to stay warm. If it starts to get hard on top, turn it on high and stir until its all mixed together again. If youre not sure if you are going to want a massive amount of this stuff around(its not exactly conducive to dieting), make it using the small velveeta thing, 1 pack of hamburger or one tube of sausage) and 1 can of rotel. Once you've gobbled that up, youll need to go back to the store. Also note: Use EITHER hamburger or sausage. It tastes quite odd with a combination of both in there. Trust me. Note #2: This stuff is also awesome over a baked potato(also not low-fat, but oh well). I use the leftovers for this. Ill make a massive amount of dip for a party then put it in a tupperware and put it over potatoes later in the week. You can also freeze the dip if you somehow have any left.
• Abernathy, Texas
Thanks! I guess I was asking here to see what other mylotters had actually created - and liked!
@twoey68 (13651)
I have one but believe it or not...haven't used it yet. I plan to try making applesauce this summer and maybe baked beans. Perhaps some kind MyLotters will have some yummy dishes to try. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
• Abernathy, Texas
Oh wow, didn't even think of applesauce - yum!
@anniepa (27280)
You'll love it! I just made pork and sauerkraut in mine and a few weeks ago I made piggies (you may call it stuffed cabbage). I fix meatballs pretty often in mine and beef stew. I'm going to try some barbecued ribs one of these days. It's so cool to be able to turn it out before you go to bed or before you go to work and dinner's ready whenever you are. Annie
• Abernathy, Texas
I think my husband would use it the most. He loves cooking. I do like the idea of things slow cooking so its ready when you get home. :)
@palina77 (1178)
beef stew - beef how to cook by slow cooker and make yummy !
Hi friend you can get many slow cooker yummy cooking device from other friends too, so this is my presentation for you Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup What a treat to come home from work and have this savory soup ready to eat. It's a nice traditional beef soup with old-fashioned goodness. SERVINGS: 8-10 CATEGORY: Low Fat METHOD: Slow Cooker TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours Ingredients: * 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes * 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained * 3 cups water * 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed * 2 medium onions, diced * 3 celery ribs, sliced * 2 carrots, sliced * 3 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes * 1/2 teaspoon dried basil * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano * 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend * 1/4 teaspoon pepper * 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables Directions: In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. Add vegetables; cover and cook on high 2 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts). ----------- Slow Cooker Beef Stew SERVINGS: 8 CATEGORY: Main Dish METHOD: Slow Cooker TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours Ingredients: * 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed * 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices * 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped * 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour * 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil * 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained * 1 cup beef broth * 1 teaspoon ground mustard * 1/2 teaspoon salt * 1/2 teaspoon pepper * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme * 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce Directions: Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add stew meat; seal and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 7-8 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. (see image) ----------- Slow Cooker Mexican Dip Simple & Delicious "My family and I love to entertain," explains Heather Courtney in Ames, Iowa, "and this hearty, 7-ingredient dip is always a hit…as well as a request. It couldn’t be much easier to put together, and using our slow cooker leaves us free to share some quality time with our guests. After all, isn't that the purpose of a holiday party?"CATEGORY: Appetizer METHOD: Slow Cooker TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours Ingredients: * 1-1/2 pounds ground beef * 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage * 1 cup chopped onion * 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve Spanish rice * 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans * 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce * 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed * 1 package tortilla chip scoops Directions: In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Heat rice according to package directions. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the meat mixture, rice, beans, enchilada sauce and cheese. Cover and cook on low for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla scoops. Yield: 8 cups. -------------- Slow Cooker Chili Cooking for 2 “This tomatoey chili was our traditional Halloween supper when our children were small,” shares Mary Foster, Franklin Grove, Illinois. “I still enjoy its slow-cooked goodness and keep extra servings in the freezer.” SERVINGS: 4 CATEGORY: Lower Fat METHOD: Slow Cooker TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours Ingredients: * 1/2 pound lean ground beef * 1/2 cup chopped onion * 1/2 cup chopped green pepper * 1/2 cup chopped celery * 1 garlic clove, minced * 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained * 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce * 1/2 cup water * 1/2 cup ketchup * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce * 2 teaspoons chili powder * Dash hot pepper sauce Directions: In a small skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Yield: 4 cups.
@MsTickle (25051)
I got rid of mine years ago when my kids were little. They hated anything cooked in it and no matter what I put in, everything ended up tasting the same and not nice at that. I'd like to get hold o an old one second hand because I've heard they are better than the new ones. I too, will be looking for advice and recipes.
@lkbooi (16100)
Whenever I am busy and couldn’t spend any spare time to prepare meal, I usually will ready a simple dish using a slow cooker. While I am preparing the stuffs needed like potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, meat etc, in the meanwhile, I switch on the cooker to let it warm. After cooking the stews on strong fire I then pour the boiling stew into the slow cookers. When it starts boiling I then turn to the low until served.
Yeah, I do have one. It is really awesome. I use to make chili, stews, and so much more. I bet it is better than frying on stove. I never prefer frying at all, regarding my health. I also cook sausage, peppers, and onions in my crockpot. I never prefer a deep fryer at all. I do baking, too.
• Abernathy, Texas
What's your favourite slow cooker recipe? By the Way, glad to hear that you prefer to frying, its definitely healthier - and you don't have to watch it as much.
@Spontaneo (5186)
Invest in the cookbook "Fix It and Forget It" and "A Potful of Recipes". Both may be found on Amazon and eBay.
@ruby222 (4848)
I have a slow cooker..and yes they are really good things to have..my favourite is to buy a piece of brisket of beef...I put the whole piece into the slow cooker and cover it with stock..then I season it..and add a couple of sliced onions and a lot of sliced carrots...and then let it cook for the rest of the day..then i take the piece of meat out and thicken the stock to create that lovely beef gravy...and then pop the sliced meat back into it..its so tasty its really delicious..try it if you get a slow cooker!