Life, ethics question, returning lost property.

A friend of mine found a USB hard drive. He didn't know what it was and gave it to me. I looked at the files. It is a whole list of stuff from an ad agency including contact email addresses, homes, and phone numbers for a bunch of models. Oh, and a few nice pictures, but nothing pornographic. Ethics question would you return it? Would you delete the files and pretend nothings was on it before returning it to your friend? Would you give it back to him and tell him it has a lot of someone's work files on it and "should" be returned? Would you email or phone call the poor girls and try to get dates? What?
@aseretdd (13736)
Well, i tried to imagine if i lost my own usb hard drive... of course i would want the person who finds it to return it to me... The usb that you have right now might contain the person's whole life work... or his current job might depend on that piece of device... so i would try to contact the owner and return it to him/her... who knows... this person might end up as your bestfriend or more...
Well, I tend to think as you do. The issue, for me, was did I return it despite the wishes of the one who found it (deceiving my friend) or just tell him that he should return it. I agree that it does contain important information. I had to hunt through the drive looking for data files that identify the owner, however. It was not marked or labeled. It could well have sat on a shelf for a few months or a year before someone with less technical savvy (like the finder) figured out what it was.
@aseretdd (13736)
thanks for the best response mark...
@raijin (10373)
If I was the one who saw it, then I'd return. Besides, I don't have any knowledge of what was inside of it. I would definitely give it back to the owner, may they be from a girl or a guy. We'll never know important that item would be, it could mean their life or their career's future hanging in it..
I would up telling the finder that he should return it. Then I've kind of lost control of the situation. I keep thinking that I should have lied to my friend and just returned the drive. "It was broken." --- or somesuch.