When I am an Old Woman (written by jenny Joseph)

This is for whittby and anybody else who wants to read it :) When I am an old woman I shall wear purple With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells And run my stick along the public railings And make up for the sobriety of my youth I shall go out in my slippers in the rain And pick the flowers in other people's gardens And learn to spit. you can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat And eat three pounds of sausages at a go Or only bread and pickle for a week And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes. But now we must have clothes that keep us dry And pay our rent and not swear in the street And set a good example for the children. We will have friends to dinner and read the papers. But maybe I ought to practise [sic] a little now? So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple. ~ Jenny Joseph ~
@ellie333 (21018)
Jenny Joseph the female version of Peter Pan eh!. Great poem - thanks for sharing. Its great to be able to get away with being a child again the older we get and its ok too. Why is it that children and older people manage this FUN thing but the in between ages we seem to have to act responsible as that is what society dictates.
Your response maketh me laugh! Thank you!
@RobinJ (2501)
I love this poem and the purple hat ladies have taken it as their own, I wanted to join the red hats but in out town they have a closed club, meaning they are not accepting new members, something I believe Jenny Joseph would totally disagree with she was all for having the social side expand rather than a select few. but the concept is fun at every ones own pace and I just love that thought
Thanks for your response. Maybe you could put out feelers and start another red hat group. you're probably not the only one for whom the doors have been closed. Where I live there are several red hat groups.