What do you think of republicans voting for democrats in the primaries?

@vera5d (4006)
Rush Limbaugh was campaigning for all republicans to go out and vote for hillary to screw up the democrat primaries. You would think that people smart enough to listen to Rush are independent thinkers, but not the case. Many republicans voted for Hillary Clinton yesterday because of Rush's idea. The logic behind this is to get back at the democrats so people who don't like Hillary will be more likely to vote for McCain...Rush claims democrats voted in the republican primary & that is what put mccain in the lead since McCain is a moderate & not as "republican" as the rest of the original candidates...this is sort of his way of getting back at the democrats and to add some entertainment. Either way, I think this is unfair to both parties for anyone who takes their party seriously. It should not be allowed for someone to "cross-over" for the primary election - the whole point of the primary election is for the individual parties to elect their representative for the general election. What do you think? Is this ethical? Do you agree with it?
@Taskr36 (13923)
Don't act like it's a Republican issue. Both parties have been doing this for as long as political primaries have been in existence. People list themselves as an opposing party just to vote for the weaker candidates. I learned about this when I was 10 years old.
You're right Taskr36, the only difference is that a major public personality encouraged it. Even so, I see no foul.
@vera5d (4006)
I am not affiliated with either party, so I am sorry if it seemed this is blaming the republicans...I am aware it has gone on for a long time...some might say my non affiliated vote is just as bad...I do not like the idea of someone with thousands of sheep behind him endorsing the practice however...
@Taskr36 (13923)
I'm sure liberal commentators have encouraged the same thing in the past. I really don't think it makes that big a difference. What will be will be.
@Guardian208 (1095)
I know that Democrats have been doing it for years. I know a few of them. I am sure that Republican have probably been doing it as well though I don't know any who have. I don't think it is right but until we change the system, it's allowed. Now I would be in favor of changing the system completely. If this were my world, I would hold one national primary just like the national elections. The whole country would vote on the same day and it would be over in January. That would eliminate this type of activity since no one will know who is in or out in each party and people would be more likely to vote for who they like, not who they don't like. I would also remove the restrictions on who you could vote for. You should be able to cross party lines to be able to vote for the candidate that best represents your views. I would also get rid of the delegate system, particaularly the super delegates and have something more like the electoral college, or not. Anyway, that's what GuardianWorld would look like. Lol
@rodney850 (2145)
It sure would cut down on campaign expenses also. I've never quite understood anyone spending in the millions of dollars to get elected to a job that won't pay that the entire time in office! There is just something wrong about that. The idea you proposed is actually a very good idea. Give all of the hopefulls from October to January to present their case and have a national election in January and the top person from each party gets the nod, fantastic!
Alright! So you can be the first citizen of GuardianWorld! Lol
@Taskr36 (13923)
Nice idea. I'm sure we'll continue our broken system for only a few more decades. Hopefully some day they'll embrace a more functional system like what you described.
I think Rush is crazy and I wouldnt listen to anything that he says. I think McCain is a very viable and good candidate and for him and other republicans to be saying the things they are saying just isnt right. Change to democrat then.
@vera5d (4006)
I don't like Rush personally...my hubby listens to him constantly. I think he makes a mockery of things that are important issues that should be handled seriously. It is like the classic "screaming Fire! in a crowded theatre" theory about our government. As the person above said, it is just entertainment to him. But people who don't think for themselves or research their own beliefs will listen and do what he says...
@anniepa (27280)
I think it's unethical for voters ofmeither party to do this and although I know it's legal I wish it weren't. What would make you think people that listen to Rush have to be "smart" or "independent thinkers"? I used to listen to Rush while delivering mail just to be aware of what venom he was spewing and I didn't find his callers to be very independent in their thinking at all. I find it amusing that Rush claims Democrats voted for McCain in the primaries and that's what put him into the lead; considering the many millions of Democrats who have voted for either Obama or Clinton in the primaries thus far, where did the ones who voted for McCain come from? There must be even more Democrats than I thought there were. Anyway, I started an earlier discussion where I said I don't think this practice is right at all and I'm all for a national primary and for voters to only be allowed to vote for a candidate in the party in which they are registered. It's up for Democrats to choose their nominee and Republicans to choose theirs. As long as we have this two party system, which I think has flaws of its own, that's the only fair and right way to do it. Annie