secret chili ingredients and toppings

bowl of chili - A bowl of chili for a cold winter night is sure to be welcome at your dinner table.
My secret chili ingredients are cocoa and sugar. We top with the standards, raw onion, cheddar and sour cream. What are your secrets and favorites?
I've never heard of putting cocoa and sugar in chili. I'll have to try it. I guess my entire chili recipe is a secret. LOL I win the local chili cookoff every year and everyone always begs for my recipe. Honestly, I don't have a recipe. I just throw a whole bunch of stuff together in a great big pot and it always turns out good. I guess I'm just lucky. Oh, there you go, LUCK is my secret ingredient!
Are you holding out on us, girlgonefishing?
Not on purpose. LOL I can tell you that I always add my homemade broth. I make broth all the time from oven roasted bones and whatever vegetables I have on hand.
@brimia (6582)
I just made vegan chili mac last night. You cook macaroni and toss it with a "cream" sauce made from soy/rice milk, flour, oil, nutritional yeast, and spices. Then I made a quick bean & tomato chili and poured it on top and baked it...so yummy.
@whittby (3072)
I use Hershey syrup sometimes which would be very similar to your cocoa and sugar. I started using this years ago on recommendation from an Italian neighbor who made the best spaghetti sauce. I incorporate a little sugar into the chili now too - cuts the acidity. I'm not sure what the chocolate does, but no one would ever guess it's in there. whit
@chiyosan (30213)
i havent done chili but would like to try sometime. thank you for the tips i might just go find time to make a bowl of chili myself.
@julievy (595)
Just a little pinch of cinnamon adds a bit of spice to chili or to spaghetti sauce. Give it a try some time!
I have and it is good! Try the cocoa next time in your chili.
@julievy (595)
I certainly will. It sounds good, kind of similar to Mole. Hummm, maybe I should make a pot of chili tomorrow. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
Finally, someone else that puts sugar in their chili. I have always made mine like that and never encountered anyone else who did the same. I always get strange looks when people ask how I get the hint of sweetness in my chili and I reply with sugar.
Try some cocoa in next time, really does add a little something to it! I also put sugar in my spaghetti sauce.
Lola, I've never cooked a pot of chili, so don't have any secret ingredients to pass on, but cocoa and sugar sound strangely delicious. I'd never imagine using those ingredients in chili. How did you ever come up with cocoa and sugar for chili???
By perusing cookbooks and experimenting; it is really good! You will have to try it sometime.