How are top discussions selected?

@redrover (597)
Sometimes when I look at the Todays Top Discussions I scratch my head on why they were chosen. I see many good discussions that never make it there, and bad ones that do. It seems you see a lot of the same names there all the time. Is there a Mylot teamer that picks theme? Are they chosen by rankings? I am just curious not whining.
@Modestah (11188)
I think that it likely applies to the top discussion per category - top not meaning most popular but that which is at the top of the list - most recently posted on discussion. but, I am just speculating, because it often happens when I think I figured something out about mylot - I quickly find that I am mistaken.
Oh I agree with you on this one. I have had one discussion of mine in the top discussion (can't remember which one) and thought it was odd that it was when there were some other ones that I personally thought were better.
@jeseravi (338)
I thought that they're just selected automatically if they hit the top of thier catagory list. That's just how I look at them...
I always thought that the top discussions was picked by the topic that had the most responses for the day. Little do I know.
@KrauseHome (36689)
Personally, I am not sure how these make it as well. I have seen some with only 2 responses, and wondered the same thing myself. I have been here for almost a yr. and a half now. I am wondering if it could be something to do with Ratings and rankings as well. Maybe we'll never know.