Population Shift in the US

@bobmnu (8160)
It seem that the people in the US are moving to a warmer climate. If you look at the cities that are growing they are in the south and west. while the cities that are losing population are in the north and northeast. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_re_us/census_growing_cities This might be what some people would want you to believe, but as one lady stated they moved because they could get a bigger house for less money. Housing costs are a big factor in everyones budget. There might be another reason for the move to the states that people do and that is TAXES!! If you look at the states that are losing population you will notice that jobs and business have left and these are also the high TAX states. If you check the Tax Foundation website they give the tax burden by state but they include the local taxes too. http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/335.html Maybe the tax and spend politicians need to rethink some of the programs. In Michigan, a state that is ranked 14th in state and local taxes, Detroit is the fasting declining city in the country. In a resent speech Governor Jennifer M. Granholm (D) proposed increasing taxes on individuals and business to get Michigan out of there economic problems. It seems that people are voting with their feet and moving to low tax states. At a time when Senator Obama and Senator Clinton talking about increased taxes (but only on the rich) to pay for more and bigger government. If they are not careful they will find that the rich will vote with their feet and leave this country with their business. Then where will we be? We will end up like every other socialist government. A stagnant economy with no growth and fewer and fewer good paying jobs. If we are not careful we could end up destroying the greatest nation and economy in the world.
@eden32 (3975)
I'm in Massachusetts and currently considering a move to West Virginia. The housing & living costs are a big factor in our consideration, but so is the quality of life and how I perceive the attitudes of people living in the areas. I've lived in Mass all of my life, and at one time I would have told you it is the best place to live in the US and possibly the planet. But our society here has changed, or I notice more than I did when I was younger. We're elitist. We're rude. We're enacting more and more laws to 'protect' us- my state recently made it a law that you must have health insurance. I've spent some time in the south, in Texas and in the mid-Atlantic area. Of them all, I like the middle of the east coast best. It seems like the perfect meeting point of southern hospitality and the north's values of things like education, culture, and diversity. I can see how these things effect businesses too. Why would a newer company, still struggling to establish themselves choose to be in Mass now that they have to provide insurance for every employee (including temps) they have?
@bobmnu (8160)
You understand, why don't the elected officals understand this. If we are free to make our own decisions we will create a better country.
don't feel bad,eden. i live next door in RI,and they're entertaining the idea of the mandatory insurance law too. doesn't it occur to them if we could afford it,we'd already have it? *shrug*
@bobmnu (8160)
Some feel that if the state is going to mandate that you have Health Insurance that the state let you decide just as you do for car insurance. In Minnesota the state has required by law that 60 different procedures be covered by every insurance policy. In Iowa the requirement is 20. Iowa has Family Insurance for $500 to $800 less per month. Several years back Hair restoration was required by law in some states but not Birth Control pills. Many of my single female friends were upset but had to pay higher insurance costs as a result. One of President Bush's proposals was to allow people to shop for insurance like car insurance. If you did not want collision coverage you did not have to buy it. There are many reforms that could be made but it takes changing the laws to do it and the lawmakers do not want to give you choices.
bobmnu, You mentioned Michigan. I'm from Michigan orginally. I lived there for 21 years. I know something about Michigan. So, listen to this. As to the taxes there being too high and those same too high taxes contributing greatly to population decline and economic woes, you are completely correct. I know this for sure. Why do you think I left? It is completely reasonable to me that other parts of the country would suffer the same fate as Michigan if taxes get too high and liberals too much control. Intelligent independent minded people are not going to tolerate these things. The saddest part of this whole mess we are discussing is that liberal politicians can have this carefully and clearly explained to them and they will still scoff at you or laugh in your face. I'm really tired of it. Until people start voting for independent candidates for political office instead of members of political parties, we are going to have to put up with more of the same.
@bobmnu (8160)
I am to the point that if the person I vote for does not do the job right I will vote for someone else in the next election. I do not consider a vote for a third party candidate a wasted vote. It is sending a message that I agree with this person and not them.
Michigan is losing population partially because Detroit is having a hard time. The irony is, a dwindling tax basis increases the per capita tax burden of the remaining citizens. Pittsburgh was a in touch situation during the decline of the U.S. steel industries. It transformed its economy without government's help in the 90's. Politician should pay attention to policy that wealth creation, not re-distribution.
@bobmnu (8160)
The Democrat party is doing everything they can to destroy the US Audo Industry. Look at the new fuel standards. They are trying to tell everyone what kind of car they can drive. If they would leave it to the market Michigan would be recovering now. I remember in the 60's American Cars were considered poor quality that would fall apart as you drove it off the lot. The Germans and the Japanese entered the US market with a better product. Now American cars are as good if not better than many foreign cars. The market corrected itself.
@gewcew23 (8010)
So true, so true the South is booming while the North is sufuring. The South has always been more Conservative, we where the first defender of free trade which has brought alot of jobs to the South. We where the first to defend Right-to-Work legislation, which has brought alot of jobs to the South. We where the first to defend smaller government, which has brought alot of jobs to the South. We where the first to defend property rights, which has brought alot of jobs to thew South. My fear is that Northern politician will try to destory the Southern economy like they did before, during, and after the Civil War.