Decorated marine vet is under investigation..You gotto see this

@ersmommy1 (12596)
Combat vet is under investigation after he and 3 others accepted gifts. The donor of the gifts says the marine Corps knew that the gifts were going to be given!http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/03/30/sanchez.money.marine.cnn I cannot believe this after all the sacrafices these people make for our country and freedoms!
Having spent 24 yrs in the Military, commissioned as an Officer in the United States Marine Corps, reached the rank of Colonel; I can tell you that while this action on the part of The Corps does not surprise me, it is not the first time the upper echelon of The Corps has reacted politically to something that Marines have done that was not wrong, in and of itself. It saddens me to see my beloved Corps become such a Politically Correct body in the past decade or so. Just look at the prosecution of the Haditha Marines. Marines that did their duty, put their lives on the line, and followed the rules of engagement to the letter. Yet they are being prosecuted (literally persecuted) by the upper echelon and political wing of The Corps. When after Article 32 hearings the charges were dismissed, The Corps brought in outside prosecutors and overturned the ruling. Is it any wonder why less and less ppl want to join The Corps anymore? I used to joke that all that brass on their hats squashed their brain cells, and the higher the rank the less common sense they had left. The sad part is that it now appears that this wasn't a joke after all. It seems that the General Staff have forgotten what it means to be a Marine, and instead become just more political insiders in the Washington political world. I mourn for these men that are being prosecuted, investigated, threatened, in the name of political correctness. Stop the insanity, and bring back Chesty Fuller and REAL Marines!
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Ersmommy1, I cannot access the CNN video at this time. Though, I don't want to lose track of this discussion. So, I'm going to bookmark it by providing this early response. Once I have reviewed the video, I'll respond accordingly. Though, based on just the limited information in your original posting, it sounds as though this discussion is going to hit a nerve of mine. We shall see. Toodles for now!
@ersmommy1 (12596)
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/03/30/sanchez.money.marine.cnn I resent it so you won't lose it. have a good day.
I can't really check the URL from where I am at the moment, but working from what you say, I can see there are some sensitive points. The left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. In religion, that's a good thing. I means you give money to the church or charity without expecting recognition or praise in return. In Government, however, the meaning of the phrase is turned on its head to become a bad thing. There, it explains government incompetence. A government is made up of many people and there are many, many rules. No one individual knows all the rules, I would guess. Therefore, even if you tell people on one end that you'd like to give a gift, people on another end might see that as breaking some rule they are more familiar with. Yet, I should expect it to go a long way if one at least tried to check on the appropriateness of the gift before giving or receiving it. I hope it all works out well of the people involved, as -- at this point -- I can see no reason to expect corruption was behind it.
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Ersmommy1, I have reviewed the video. While I find myself initially outraged, I am inclined to seek more information on the particulars of this situation. Not in regard to these four men, who were selected, allegedly at random to be surprised by the outpouring of generosity of Mr. Sanchez & his associates. Rather, what I am curious about is the reason why the USMC would have a policy prohibiting gifts to uniformed personnel, and if such a policy even exists. For me, the existence of the policy comes into question because of the many organizations that have dedicated themselves to sending our soldiers care packages. I have never read any dollar amount restrictions in the guidelines of any of the three such programs that Hubby and I support. There are no listed restrictions on sending packaged edibles, sundries, appliances or even personal electronic devices. So, unless there is a cap on the value of an appreciation gift, then I would have to think that the USMC had another reason to poo-poo this act of generosity and appreciation. Perhaps it had more to do with the method of selection of the personnel who attended the party??? At this point, I just don't know. Though, this doesn't sit well with me, for sure. Regardless of my curiosity to 'get to the bottom' of the referenced policy, I would say that if the Corps knew about the plan to 'draw' for gifts, then the Corps is in error in its investigation and suspension of Sgt. Barnes. I am remided of a Dickens quote: "There is a wisdom of the head, and a wisdom of the heart." And, unless I learn otherwise, it would seem that, in this particular situation, the USMC is short on both!