Cigarette butts are litter!

@bonbon664 (3470)
Now that our huge snowbanks are thawing in my city, the messy streets are starting to really show. One of the biggest problem are the millions of cigarette butts everywhere. It's disgusting. Why don't people realize that butts are litter? Why do smokers think it's ok just to throw their butts anywhere?
@maddysmommy (16233)
I find that annoying too and my husband does the same thing. He is a smoker and if there is no where to butt it out, he will butt it out on the ground. I tell him its terrible that he does that, but it doesn't change a thing. I am not about to start picking his butts up after him either. He's a grown man and knows what he should be doing. Its complete laziness.
@bonbon664 (3470)
I am a smoker, and when I'm out, and there's no ashtray, I butt out on the ground, pick the butt out, and put it in a trash can.
@maddysmommy (16233)
Exactly. Tell that to my husband LOL
@wolfie34 (26791)
Trouble is with the smoking ban in full force in the UK, you cannot smoke inside so where as before all butts went into ashtrays provided by the establishment, where do smokers put their butts? Yes, on the ground and so it's become fair game for the streets to be full of butts especially outside office doors, where smokers have to stand! There are on the spot fines for people who drop their butts, but I see little enforcement of this rule and it's beyond a joke now. You are right they are litter at least when smoking was allowed inside butts were left inside! But what can you do?
@bonbon664 (3470)
Well, I think businesses and the government should provide outdoor ashtrays, maybe that would solve the problem.
@Feona1962 (7527)
I consider them litter as well and I don't know why they don't put them in the right container...I'm sure that is an awful sight on your streets.