Honesty is the Best Policy VS. Ignorance is Bliss

@megs85 (3144)
Australia
Ha anyone else noticed that these two old saying directly contradict one another? Do you agree with one or the other or do you beleive they both have a little bit of bearing, or think they are both hogwash???
@Meljep (1668)
If you think about these statements in their own context I don't think they contradict each other. Honesty is the best policy - means you should be honest and open with people and not try to hide anything. A guilty conscience will wear on you. Ignorance is bliss - just means that if I'm not aware something bad is going on I will be in a state of happiness and nothing will rock my boat.
@megs85 (3144)
Thanks for the great well thought out response, I can see how that could be an interpretation of these sayings yet I still maintain the stand point that they are directly in contradiction of one another. To be honest with someone is to alleviate their ignorance, thus if the truth hurts them they have lost their bliss and being honest was not the best policy after all...
@disvachic (10120)
I believe in that saying cause if you lie u have keep other lies to back the ones u already told up.so why not keep it honest
@Tanya8 (1734)
I see what you mean about the contradiction. I think honesty is generally a good policy, but that there are times where it is better to tell white lies (for example. if you don't a friend's taste in clothes ). Ignorance is bliss seems true in a lot of cases, but when people are ignorant they may inadvertently cause harm on a larger scale. For example if people are ignorant about global warming, they may vote for policies that exaccerbate it.