Sewing project ideas

@guss2000 (2233)
I need help, my creative brain is broken. I'm not all that good with sewing yet, but I can make some things. I've made jean purses, and fabric book marks-- and a few other small projects, like hair scrunchies and stuff. Well, I need more ideas. What other SMALL things can I make with my fabric and sewing machine? I need something that I can make a pattern myself with and create from that. I do have a lot of patterns here, but my skills aren't that great to make something yet. I hope to get there someday, but right now trying to start small. Any ideas? What other ideas do you have for me?
@Loverbear (4928)
How about hot pot pads? You make the "pillow" fill it with rice and toss in a few cloves and some cinnamon to give off a homey odor. They sell well at craft shows! Another thing would be tote bags. The ecological kind like the stores are selling, but the ones at the stores are kind of ugly! You could do pretty ones to sell at craft sales.
@saundyl (9686)
i think beans can be used as well.
@Loverbear (4928)
I hadn't thought about using beans. I just had an experience with using beans to stuff a posable bear. The owner washed him and well....he sprouted. It looked funny having sprouts coming out of his arms and legs! :-)
@guss2000 (2233)
Neat! I never thought about scented hot pads! Sounds really cool! That is funny about the teddy bear that sprouted!!
Take a pair of jeans and make it into a skirt. Take a pair of jeans and make a booty bag. take a wide piece of fabric and make a wrap around skirt. I made my first yesterday. I wore it to church today. Oh how pretty it is.
@guss2000 (2233)
That skirt sounds cool! Do you have a picture of it?
jean pant turned into a skirt - cut the legs off. sew the leg to the center of the skirt. stitch the edges and your done
Here is the jeans I cut to make the skirt. I am stuck on what to do with the ends. I have to finish the tip as well. That is no big deal. Good luck to you
@guss2000 (2233)
That is pretty neat!! Maybe you could frey the ends a bit? I think that would look cute! Youd have to seem it a bit though so that it doesn't frey clear up the skirt. LOL You did a great job!
@saundyl (9686)
For the most part I do things like Quilts..baby quilts alot, table runners and placematts, throw pillows, clothes for teddy bears for my baby sister, dog toys out of old jeans. I've also started making a jean blanket for on the beach from old jeans (i need 2 more pairs i wont feel bad about cutting up to finish it though! must wait til i wear a pair out or go to a thrift store for a cheap pair that looks good and doesnt fit) I used to do pot holds and oven mitts. Winter hats and mittens. I found barbie clothes to be just too small for my interests! I'm not into making alot of clothing or things i have to follow a complcated pattern for.
@guss2000 (2233)
I'm with you on the pattern thing. i can't read a pattern to save my soul! I have made my OWN patterns to follow, and I'm okay with that. When it comes to reading someone elses, forget it. I have TONS of patterns that I should just sell because I'm never going to use them. That is actually making me want to go thru them right now. Anyawy, I have TONS of jean scrap material from making purses. Can you tell me what's involved with making the dog toys with it? The jean quilt sounds neat, I wonder if I could do something like that with my scraps. THanks for sharing!!
@saundyl (9686)
dog toys... I usually trace out the shape of a bone or something doggy..cut two peices then sew them together and stuff them. They last alot longer than the stuffed toys from the dollar store and I dont feel too bad when i have to replace them. Other ways are Cutting 3-6 strips and braiding them together for tug toys. I've done fleece dog coats for my puppy when shes been shaved. I borrowed one my mom had bought and traced it onto brown paper...then made adjustments to make it smaller for my pup.
@guss2000 (2233)
That is a good idea! I have a bag of scrap jean pieces that I was trying to find something to do with, and I think this would work! Gosh, I could sell them really cheap, and they'd probably sell pretty quick!
@cher913 (25865)
well what you might want to do is hit the library and take a look at the craft books there, but my idea is to make hot water bottles or covers for your heating pads...
@guss2000 (2233)
heating pad covers is definitely different! I haven't seen that one before, and those things do get dingy! I think i might make MYSELF one of those! Oh and I found a book the other day that I do want to get from the library. It's called "The scrapcraft project book" by Nikki Wheeler. Have you heard of it? I'm hoping my library has it, if not I think I might try to find it on ebay or amazon.
@SukiSmiles (1998)
Could you make fabric bracelets? Try to make different kinds of purses. Or how about small stuffed animals? When I was little, my grandmother helped me make a two dimensional stuffed animal. We sewed together three or four inch squares, kind of like you would for a quilt. And made two larger pieces. We took a "pattern" a cutout picture of cat I brought home from zoo school. She used that to trace a front and back (flipped it over) and cut it out. Then we sewed almost around the whole pattern, turned it right side out and stuffed it with batting. Then sewed up the rest by hand. It was my favorite stuffed animal for a very long time. I still have it in the garage somewhere. You could free hand any shape/animal. We sewed some buttons on the cat for eyes. But I don't really sew much and it's a pretty simple way to make a stuffed animal. Have fun!
@guss2000 (2233)
Those are great ideas! I'm starting to make a list of things that I can do. Thanks for helping!
@venshida (4837)
How about eye mask? They are easy to make. Sachet's are easy to make to just sew up a couple of squares and add lavender or any potpourri you like.
@guss2000 (2233)
I forgot about sachets! I can do that! I have a huge bag of potpourri that I was trying to figure out what I could do with too. Thanks! I'm going to look into making eye masks too, I think that is something someone would buy.
@venshida (4837)
Another idea is plastic bag holders, you just need the fabric and elastic.
@guss2000 (2233)
Oh yeah!! The person that I used to sell with made those, and made a killing out of them. Now that I'm not selling with her, I can make my own. Thanks for reminding me!
@Loverbear (4928)
I just had another thought, and that is make fabric boxes. One of the pattern companies has the pattern in their pattern books. I think it might have been McCalls. Anyway it doesn't take too much fabric and they are so much fun to make and sell.
@Loverbear (4928)
I think they are stiffened with cardboard. The other thing you could do is to take apart one of your small boxes and make a pattern from it. I remember some of the boxes that I made were also lined with a layer of quilt batting. I have a pattern for a "house" box. I will be going through my craft stuff because of my wanting to down size the amount of stuff I have, if you would like it you're welcome to it.
Sew your fabric pieces together to make a shopping bag. It works best if it is a strom material like denim or something. Just a big square box made of fabric with a handle. It is a pattern that you can make one up of fairly easy and you can make it cute. I like to have bags in my car so that when I find I need to carry a lot of things I can just grab a bag and ease my loads.
@Loverbear (4928)
As for making them cute, why not take the pockets off old jeans and stitch them on and then use some bandana material to make a handkerchief to put in the pocket, only you sew the handkerchief in the pocket...only use half the square so that you have half for another bag. I think it might be cute. I know I have a ton of shopping bags (or tote bags) that I use for everything...from hauling school books to college to taking along my bear making stuff. I have even used them for carring animals. I had adopted two kittens outside our local Wal Mart in July. It was 110 degrees outside and I didn't want to leave them in the car while I went in the grocery store so I popped them into the tote bag I had and carried them in the store with me. It was funny to watch all the people looking for the cats when one of them would meow.
@guss2000 (2233)
You guys are really getting my creative ideas going! I have a huge list of stuff now! i'm so glad I started this post because now I have so many ideas!! I'm going to try the shopping bags out as soon as I start on my projects! Thanks again!
@thepipes (163)
Some other ideas are mini tissue holders, pillows, or pillow cases, mini zippered pouches, checkbook covers, card holders and little stuffies! You can find a lot of great free tutorials and patterns online.
@guss2000 (2233)
Awesome ideas! i'm adding them to my list. I have so much stuff to make now. Now to find the time...
@thepipes (163)
That is definitely the problem I am having now! my to do projects list is starting to get really big!
@GreenMoo (11837)
How about throw pillows? They are nice and easy and you can decorate them in all sorts of interesting ways or just stick with funky fabrics. Or maybe try some cloth shopping bags? If you have some curtain fabric that would be perfect. Great for the environment as you won't need plastic carriers, and trendy too! Baby bibs are easy to create if you have any babies in the family who'd appreciate a gift. Have fun! Look around your house for more inspiration.
@guss2000 (2233)
I laid out a pattern the other night of a really cute bib, but I wasn't sure if I could do it. I'm really thinking about the shopping bags. I could make them out of my thigns I have, and sell them cheap! It's so great when you can use 'scraps' to make stuff and don't have to buy the supplies!
@jillhill (37379)
How about coasters...they are very easy to make...just cut your squares and add a piece of batting inbetween and finish off.....you can get creative....do a little embellising on them too...they are fun and great gifts!
@guss2000 (2233)
I forgot about making coasters! My old craft buddy made those and bundled them up, and many people bought them. Thanks for the reminder about them!
Table runners are great. You can make them match holidays or seasons or just every day.
@guss2000 (2233)
I'm not sure if my fabric is big enough. I mostly have scraps, but some are larger pieces. I'm going to see what I have and maybe I can make a few. Or maybe I can make like a quilted runner.
@peavey (16906)
I was going to say potholders, too. How about hotpads (for setting hot dishes on)made the same way? Or cloth napkins?
@guss2000 (2233)
Thanks for the idea! We just moved, so now that I'm done unpacking I'm going to have some upcoming craft/sewing time. I'm hoping to be able to do atleast one fair this spring, and I need to get ready. My creative brain and ideas are broke right now though. Thanks again!
How about some pot holders? All you need is fabric for the front and back, an bath towel that you don't need anymore, and thread! You use that towel as the insulation, so you need to cut two pieces of the towel the same size as the fabric. Quilt it (sew straight lines through all the layers), then trim it up and make a binding (a strip of fabric folded in half and then sewn down on the front and back. :O)
@guss2000 (2233)
That is very creative! Thanks for your suggestion. I think I could figure out how to make that!