Unusual 5.4 Earthquake wakes up residents in Illinois this morning

@dizzblnd (3073)
This earthquake was felt as far away as Milwaukee and Indiana. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake (i can't wait to cut and paste ) So far no reports of injuries or deaths since the earthquake hit at 4:37am on 4/18/08. Did you feel the tremors this morning? Please share your experience if you did.
Well, this must have been the same thing my wife was telling me about here in Memphis that she felt at about 4:30. She is a light sleeper. Most of the time, my snoring is enough of a quake to wake her up. LOL! Like your husband, I never felt it. For years there has been talk of a big one going to hit because of the New Madrid fault
@dizzblnd (3073)
Welcome to mylot! I hope you enjoy your time here. It is a very addicting and fun place to be! I have heard of the Madrid Fault. Because it's a generally inactive fault, it has nothing better to do than to build up pressure and energy. It's like a p!ssed off dog stewing in the doghouse. When it's had enough, its gonna go. I just hope it doesn't come in our lifetime. No one will be prepared for it, nor will they know what hit them. It will be devastating. But, maybe, it will continue with the smaller quakes every 20 or 30 years or so , so it DOESN'T get a chance to build into the Big One. Let's hope Thank you for responding. Have fun here !!
@blackbriar (9080)
I live bout an hour south of Chicago near the IN state line and didn't feel a thing. Then again, I'm a very deep sleeper. The smoke alarms don't even wake me up. My dog, however, was making the weirdest noises when I woke up briefly to go to the bathroom but didn't really register thru the fog that something was amiss.
@dizzblnd (3073)
Animals are very intuitive creatures. But if we don't expect what they are trying to warn us about.. there cries are for naught.
@myklj999 (38507)
• Olney, Illinois
I live in Olney, Illinois. The epicenter of the quake was about 16 miles South of me. Woke me up (this is the second time in 20 years or so) wondering just what the (expletive deleted) was going on. Sat there for a minute or two; didn't hear any wind blowing, no other noises, so I went back to sleep. Got up at 7:00 and it's all over the radio and TV, I've got messages in my e-mail about it and all. We live on the edge of the New Madrid fault; it's not a real active area; we get the (very) occasional tremblor, but not anything like this. The last one of this magnitude here was back in the 60's; I barely remember it, but I was very young then. The one that woke me previously was back in the mid 80's- can't remember what the magnitude of it was, but the epicenter was about 15 miles East of us that time.
@myklj999 (38507)
• Olney, Illinois
The 5.4 rating was scaled down to 5.2 We just had a second quake of 4.5 occur at 10:14 CST.
@dizzblnd (3073)
Thank you for checking in... I realized before you posted this morning that you were from Illinois, so i was hpoing you were OK. I can't begin to imagine what an earthquake feels like.. let alone the aftershock that you reported also. Keep us posted! I was reading that there was another one back in the 60's at the 5.4 scale.. now you are showing your age
@queenofarms (1665)
Yeah, I was awakened about 5:36am this morning. I thought my husband was rubbing his foot on the mattress or shaking himself. I told him to stop shaking the bed. He said I'm not but I feel it. He asked if it could be the washer shaking the trailer? So I get up thinking maybe it was storming outside. Nope quiet as a mouse. So I turned on the TV and found out it was an earthquake. The only damage I have about is some bricks fell off a building in Loiusville Ky.
@dizzblnd (3073)
LOL ummmmmmmm I am almost afraid to ask what part of himself you thought he was shaking You felt the tremors in KY??? that's insane. I am glad to hear that you are also OK thanks for sharing
@renestl (99)
I live in Saint Louis, MO and I felt the tremors. It felt like someone was shaking my bed hard. I didn't hear anything else moving, but there were some dogs and birds outside making noise. I didn't see anyone run outside and it didn't appear that there could have been an earthquake, so I tried to convince myself that I just had a bad dream. I tried to find some news about it on 5 of the different news stations and didn't see anything. Right before I tried to fall back asleep about 25 minutes later, I happened to look and see that there was breaking news on KMOV.
@dizzblnd (3073)
That's a helluva way to wake up Since it is very rare an earthquake hits there, that was probably one of the last things on your mind huh? I am glad to hear you are O.K Thank you for responding
@olivemai (4738)
I think it is an event we must all be ready for! I know we must be ready in California, as we have mild earthquakes almost every day! The big ones above 4.0 are the ones to look out for! Always be prepared, that is my motto!
@lucy02 (5017)
I did not. I live in Mississippi. I was asleep at the time though. I was at my optometrist office today though and he said he felt it. It rattle a few things on their shelves.