What was the last thing that inspired you to take action?

@dawnald (84152)
Shingle Springs, California
I am a figure skating fan and Dorothy Hamill is my favorite skater. Last fall I read her autobiography, which talked about depression in her family. It inspired me to get off my duff and go do something about my depression. Have you had anything in your life that inspired you to take action on something you knew you needed to do? Or wanted to do?
@rbailey83 (1400)
i did, i have a weakness for children, they just have a way of making you smile even when you don't feel like it. Anyways, i was in Toronto one day and i happened to walk past the sick kids hospital, and i just couldn't imagine what the terminally ill children were going through. So i wanted to try and do something that would maybe put a smile on their face and brighten their day a bit. So i created a website with a simple, basic form to which others can leave words of encouragement for the terminally ill children. Once there are enough comments they will be printed, put in a book type binding, and sent to the sick kids hospital for them to read or to be read to them, if enough comments are gathered.
@dawnald (84152)
• Shingle Springs, California
That's a wonderful idea!
@mommyboo (13198)
Yes =) It actually was not a good thing but it had excellent results. I had had to switch doctors because my insurance company was not accepting my current doctor. The new doctor ordered bloodwork for me and when she got results from the lab, she told me my cholesterol was horrible. I basically freaked out, on top of that I found out that I weighed about 12 lbs more than I should have - I didn't own a bathroom scale at the time so I had no idea, and I hadn't been eating healthy or exercising. I decided to join a gym and change my eating habits, and fast forward a year, I asked my doctor for a recheck. She told me that my cholesterol was now normal/low and told me that whatever I did was working and to keep it up. I was only 31 at the time and my daughter was just two. I was so very very relieved because one big thing I did not want to do was to have to go on chronic medication for anything. I also lost the weight I had gained over the last few years and I'm in better shape than I was prior to having my daughter. I don't go to the doctor often but talk about a wake up call for me. I felt like I was much too young to have to worry about something like this, and it turns out I was right - as long as I did something about it rather than ignore it.
@dawnald (84152)
• Shingle Springs, California
Sometimes you need a wakeup call! Glad you got it taken care of!
@Ohara_1983 (4120)
• Kuwait
yes, my daughter & family, when i feel im depressed, they are thier to inspire me& i really love the way when they start make a joke & that time im thingking that i need to be strong just for them.
@dawnald (84152)
• Shingle Springs, California
That's great that they're so supportive!