Are you scared of this information about YOU?

@kaysue4 (951)
There was a time when people were actually safe, but now that we have the grand net, it is not so. I did this for a person one time and it scared her to death about the information that can be found out about her and anyone else for that fact. I did a search for her phone number through Google. Found out her address and placed that into a property search for that area. On the property search I can find out how much they paid for the house they are in, how much taxes is paided on that house and some other general information. But! the scariest part is that you can also get the layout of the house and a picture of the house. If you ever get someone that wants to stalk you, you can't hide. They know where bedrooms, bathrooms, and windows are. Does this make you scared?
@jer31558 (3683)
It does indeed give one something to think about. I knew that you could pull up address and such, but not so extensive as you have mentioned. I guess that really makes security so much more important doesnt it?
@paid2write (5202)
That is quite scary. I also read about an investigative reporter asking people on sites like myspace and facebook to tell them their age, date of birth, address and other personal details. He was surprised at how many gave him this information without querying it. The reporters did not use the information of course, but sent those people a message telling them how dangerous it is to do this over the internet. His report was published offline to warn other people not to do it. The information he received was more than enough for a fraudster to steal someone's identity or to access their bank account.
@penny64 (1106)
The threat to privacy on the internet is real. On the other hand, nowdays you can walk out of your home without much risk of being eaten by a wild animal or being carried off by barbarians. You also have much less chance of dying from some incurable disease. Technology has reduced some risks and has brought new risks. Every age has its advantages and disadvantages.
@winterose (39897)
Yes that stuff has always been public knowledge and it is just not right. People should have much more privacy in that.