What are your feelings about giving boss gifts

@venshida (4837)
What do you guys think about giving boss' gifts? My boss birthday was on the 23rd of April she came to work with a crown on her head and states she is queen for the day. The office collected $3.00 each to buy gifts. Well now the assistant manager birthday is next week, here they come seeking contributions. I turned them down. I just don't understand why the need to give these people gifts. I think if they are going to celebrate birthdays everyone should have the celebration. It really ticks me off the amount of money these people request. Am I the only one who have a problem with this madness?
at my job we dont collect money. what we do we all take turns buying a small cake we sing happy birthday and call it a day. i do remember that for fathers day we al collected 20.00 bucks and they ended up buying him a pen set i was so upset because the person who brought the pen set only spent like 35.00 on it at staples and she pocketed the rest of the money. i complained to the office manager and told her that was not fair the she should have given back the money to those who gave and just put the names of those paid for it. that's how the cake concept came to light because i swore i would never again give any one in that office money unless i buy it myself.
@venshida (4837)
Wow, how low. Your coworker is dishonest. The cake concept is a good idea.
it sure is. she till works there but she does not talk to me at all. she knows i was the 1 who blew the whistle..1 less person to deal with at work is how i see it lol
@SukiSmiles (1993)
I work for myself now, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. But I wish I would had only had to spend $3.00 per person per birthday. We always did gifts for everyone, plus a cake and lunch. But we were also very close knit as well. We also did Chirstmas too. I definitely would not do it for someone I didn't like. Although, I would give a card to be policitaly correct in the work place. It just keeps you in the good graces of the powers-that-be.
@venshida (4837)
Close knit employees are okay.
Personally to me, if they are a good boss, and maybe they celebrate subordinates birthdays, maybe then I would give money towards a gift. I have had some very cool bosses, some were very good friends of mine, and yes I gave to them. I would not give to a mean, crappy boss though, or one who just thinks they are the boss and we owe them that. I will not give to those.
@venshida (4837)
Thats my point, they do not celebrate subordinates birthday, it's just the managers. I think if it was for everyone. It would not bother me, but I don't think the managers are more important than everyone else.