Bob Barr Announces Candidacy for Libertarian Nomination

@ParaTed2k (22980)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
The race I've been hoping for is almost in place... We have the Republican nominee, who is not that popular among Republicans. The last two Democrats standing are blasting away at their own credibility while trying to discredit the other. Hoping to bank of Republican discontent, Bob Barr has thrown his hat in the Libertarian ring. A lot of people say this would steal conservative votes from the Republicans (as if the GOP had some sort of 'right' to the conservative vote). 3 of the 4 slots are filled for what I'm hoping for the 2008 election. All that has to happen now is a good, viable liberal to come out and announce their candidacy. In the last few elections, "spoilers" have come in from the wings and have been accused of "helping" one candidate or the other. Nader was accused of handing an election to Bush; Ross Perot, it is said, gave us a Prs. Clinton. What I'm hoping for is the chaos that would reign if there were two week candidates for the major parties, and two strong "3rd" party candidates. Let's hope a lib comes through for us here!!
@rodney850 (2145)
I'm sorry, ParaTed, as much as I usually agree with you on most things, this is one where I do not! I believe a new candidate at this point just throws a wrench in the works and takes Obama from un-electable to winning the Whitehouse just as Ross Pee-Rot did to Bush when he ran against the first Clinton. This country is not yet ready to embrace a third party but this primary season and the unsavory candidates have helped push her a little more towards an alternative. If Bob Barr does get on the ballot in November he will be nothing more than a spoiler and Obama will laugh all the way to inauguration!
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Seriously, what would be the difference between either of the Democrats and that spineless wimp, McCain? He has been a toady for the left for a long time now, what makes you think he'll suddenly change? Besides, there are a few lefties who are talking about running too, so if one with some clout runs there will be a spoiler on both sides. We have no choices with the major candidates, they are almost carbon copies of each other. Personally, I don't give a crap if the Republicans win the White House this time, since the candidate has no guts.
@rodney850 (2145)
I agree that we have no viable conservative choices but I just can't stomach the one the democrats are going to nominate! He is the epitome of just what this country doesn't need! I hope you are right about the spoilers from the other side but I'm leary just because of what Pee-Rot did! Let's just hope that if McCain does get elected he chooses a strong veep because he will probably be president before it's over.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Agreed, the ONLY thing left that McCain can do to show a little backbone is name a running mate we can be excited about. If he fails there, then he has failed in uniting the party.
Very interesting. As you point out, this could be the year a third party candidate does well. Bob Barr is no weirdo running a fringe campaign either. My only problem with the Liberterian party is that they are non-interventionist. One of the things that the federal government is REQUIRED to do by the Constitution is conduct foreign policy. this does not mean ignore world problems like Darfur or aid to Burma. If they would fix that stance, i would support this party.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I agree, while there are a lot of concepts in the Lp that i like, I can't join them because of their separatist attitude towards foreign affairs.
I have a friend who is a Libertarian. he doesn't like the isolationism either. Apparently, there are others in the party who feels the same. Maybe we could stage a coup to ge that part of the platform removed?
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Well, isolationism is the only thing a person has to sign his name to when joining the LP. Everyone who has joined the party has signed their name to an oath of isolationism.
@bgerig (1259)
green party is picking up a lot of interest in IL and even local candidates are affiliating with that party.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Good! Maybe free thinking liberals in Illinois will give their candidate some support.
@gewcew23 (8010)
ParaTed come on over, I have been saving you a spot. The true Conservative party is calling you. You know you want to leave that gutless liberal party called the Republican party. The best thing to happen to this country would be to elect a Libertarian as President, and down deep in your heart you know that to be true.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
But you know I can't take that seat as long as signing the Libertarian Oath is a requirement.;~D
@gewcew23 (8010)
What if the oath changed, or their was no oath, what then?
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Well, I had a pen ready to sign the LP dotted line back in the 90s. It was the stupid, unlibertarian oath of the Libertarian Party that stopped me then, so if they did away with it, I may be tempted now.