Any tips on what to do when your eyes are really sensitive to sun and light?

@kiran1978 (4137)
Australia
Over the past week my eyes have become really sensitive when I go out in the sun or in a room with bright lights. My eyes start to water and it is hard to keep them open when it is really bright, I have to squint. I have not had this problem before. I saw the doctor about it he gave me these antibiotic eye drops, I have not used them as yet, because he told me be careful not to swallow them once they enter your mouth as it is dangerous for the baby (I am breastfeeding). SO I don't want to risk it. So have you experienced this problem before? Is there anything else I can do to help fix my eyes, maybe vitamins or something?
@aplaza (631)
• Netherlands
Maybe you have allergies. You might want to have yourself tested for allergies next time you go to the doc's office. Although if you are suffering from something like hayfever that will make your eyes water you'll still have to be careful of what you use to alleviate the symptoms.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Didn't think of that, you have a good point could be an allergy. Have never been tested for allergies before, silly question, but do you get tested for allergies at a doctor? And how do they test for this, do you get blood test done? I appreciate your advice, thank you.
@aplaza (631)
• Netherlands
You can call your doc's surgery and ask if they perform allergy tests. If not they'll be able to refer you to a place that will. Usually your skin will be treated with different allergens. After a few days they'll take a look and see what happened and tell you what you are allergic to if anything. Some might also want to take a blood sample as well. That's general advice. As you've been to see your doc already I'd advise you to call the surgery and explain that after you got the antibiotics that you don't want to take them. Ask if there is an alternative. Ask what he thought was causing it in the first place. If it's allergies then you can suggest an appointment. If it's something else you'll just have to ask for something else he can prescribe or suggest. I wish you all the best. Let us know how you got on!
@kiran1978 (4137)
Thanks for all your information that your provided me,I really appreciate it. My eyes are starting to feel a little better so I have not gone back to the doctor as yet. But I will return there, if my sore eyes get worse and ask for allergy test, thanks again. Have a great day.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hmm, i think take doc medicines as its best other thing keep ur eyes clean by washing them often and use dark glsasses when going out
@kiran1978 (4137)
Thanks for the tips cupid, I will wash my eyes and wear dark glasses.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
wish u all the best
@plumwish07 (4059)
dear friend, i am just getting confused that how could an eye drops could be turn in to your mouth and swallow it? in my experience, when any eye drop falls into my mouth, surely i will let it out from mouth and getting water into my mouth then throw it away so i never swallow it cause either we are in good health or not, swallow something which not be purpose to get inside our body, definetely will harm ourselves
@kiran1978 (4137)
Hi, when you put drops in your eye it goes through your nasal passage and into your mouth. The doctor said when I taste that bitter taste from eye drops to spit it out. That is why I was concerned as it would already be in my mouth.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Well dear, u must have heard that some doctors are ENT specialist, its Eyes, Nose and throat. at the back they are connected to same channel which open up in throat. so if u use any liquid medicine in eye or nose, u can feel its taste in ur throat, hope its Ok Now
@julyteen (13257)
• Davao, Philippines
i have experience such feeling before. i often have headaches and vomiting, i even almost fell on the ladder because i could not see the steps. i had a check up, and the doctor recommend me to wear correctional eyeglasses. and at the age of 22 i am wearing those glasses for 1 year. i religiously use it because it will correct my eyesight. after a year, my eyes are back on normal. maybe you can ask for it from your ophthalmologist.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Gee that sounded alot worse and really serious. I am glad you had a good doctor who gave you the right advice and now you are better again. I don't think I have the same thing though as I am not vomiting and don't have headached. But I will remember what you said incase I do. My eyes have not been too bad lately, some days they are sensitive and some not. I am thinking mine is due to lack of sleep from being awake through night with baby. THanks for your response, good to hear your story.
@checapricorn (16065)
I have tried that and use eye mo to cleanse it. It is a liquid also. Just ask someone to drop it in your eyes to make sure that it will not be mess up!
@kiran1978 (4137)
Thanks for your advice I will look into it.
@julievy (595)
I think I would get a second opinion from a new doc. A sudden sensitivity to light could be something serious. I've heard that Vitamin A and K are good for the eyes, so you could try adding a multiple vitamin to your diet, but that would take a long time to work. I really would want to see another doc if I were you, or at least talk to an opthamologist on the phone.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Thanks julie, I might get a second opinion from the dotor, it is strange how it happened all of a sudden. I might look into vitamin a and k thanks.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
Could you have migraines? Well I suppose you'd have a really big headache. Try using sunglasses and hats.
@kiran1978 (4137)
No not a migraine. I started wearing sunnies yesterday that did help alot, thanks for your advice.
@gemini_rose (16192)
I have this problem too, I just pop my sunglasses on and it stops it. I find that it only happens at certain times of the year and so I think that it is all down to my hayfever.