Who is that one person that refuses to go to the doctor?

In the middle of the night my dad went to the ER. I wish he had called me because I live only a couple miles away from this hospital. But he didn't even tell my mom, he just went. He went to the doctor several days ago, but the medicine they gave him did not help. They managed to set up an apppointment in mid June with his regular ear, nose, and throat specialist, but I have to say, I've not seen him in this much pain for a while. His ear drum burst in high school, and a couple of years ago he had tubes put it. Apparently they are trying to push out, and his inner ears are filled with fluid and they are inflamed. The ER gave him stronger medicine, and more effective I think. He was able to get eardrops that are actually supposed to numb the pain, which will be helpful, even though he doesn't want to take any medicine. His ears bothered him a little for a couple of months now. Only when it got out of control did he go to the doctor. So do you know anyone like that? They refuse to go to the doctor until they can't stand it anymore? Are you the one like that? I understand the hesitation, but in my dad's case, it would have saved him a lot of pain.
@jillhill (37379)
I am like that.....I have the theory that if it's not broke don't fix it.
But what if you are broke? You'll need some fixin'! : ) He just let that ear ache go, and now he's in a world of hurt.
@jillhill (37379)
I go if I need to but.....and if I thought it was something serious I would be the one at the door of the emergency room screaming ......take it off! LOL
@taface412 (3175)
I avoid going to the doctor or ER because I do not have helath insurance, but if it is really bad I will go. Otherwise I use my resources as I work in a nursing home I talk with the nurse I work with and check online and use herbal supplements and OTC meds...I administer meds so I know a little about them. I also hit up my local pharmacist for advice. But I do know what you are talking about. My grandmother was like that. She would complain of pain and problems with her legs and she was a diabetic. When we would take her to her doctor she would say everything was fine. It got down to the fact that a family member had to go with her because she lied to her doctor quite a bit. Turned out it was too late, because she had gangrene in her leg and it had to be amputated. SO my advice is no matter how much they fight it go with them and talk with the doctor too. Because you never know early detection can save a lot of problems. ANd I miss my grandmother a lot. Good luck
I'm sorry about your grandmother. You're right, early detection is key.
@lucy02 (5017)
My mom and my husband are both like that. Mom will go to the doctor if she is on her psych meds but if she gets off them you have to force her. My husband just doesn't like to go. I hope your dad gets better. That sounds very painful.
Thanks. He is feeling a little better. It's a good sign that he got some sleep.
Hi My hubby hates to go to the docs no matter what he would rather avoid it. A couple of years back (Ok about 15 years back) he and his then wife were both very ill and the docs couldn't figure out what the problem was ... so, after loads of tests, tables and check ups - lots of prodding and poking, etc... and huge bills, he decided to give doctors a miss! Fair enough I guess. A few years back he was having stomach problems and the local doc diagnosed an ulser and sent him to the hospital for some sort of scope check - a camera down his throad to his tummy. We went, he saw a consultant who told him that he thought he had irritable bowel and not an ulser at all. Upshot - no more doctors! He took probiotic yogourts and the stomach seems to have cured itself - thankfully! Now, the bit that scares me is that about a month ago I got an email from my cousin to tell me that he had been diagnosed with bowel cancer and from what he says the symptoms that he has been suffering with since December last year sound scarily similar to what hubby was going through when he was told ulser and then irritable bowel! I keep thinking 'what if ...!' After all this - he still HATES doctors!
It is so frustrating to be put through the ringer unneccessarily. But I'm glad he has you to keep watch over him. A wife is the best doctor a man can have!
@pyewacket (44031)
Well with me it was my mother...sheesh. It wasn't that she wasn't going to doctors, it's just that she never would fully tell a doctor what was wrong with her, if she had, maybe her tumor in her esophagus could have been caught sooner. When she went to the doctor she just complain that she had a lot of "congestion" in her throat...well, there's not much a doctor will make of that. Then when she started to do her bulimic thing, I tried to get it to the attention of her doctor, her social worker and even her putz therapist since I was thinking, oh, great, another psychological problem with her..but since she never signed a proxy I wasn't allowed any input on her "clinical" care. It was a good full year after she started her bulimic thing that the cause of why she was doing it was found out....She had passed out cold in the tub while taking a bath...I called 911...we zoom over to the ER...she was in the hospital for about two weeks..after extensive testing that's how they found out about the cancerous tumor in her esophagus..but like I said if she had said something other than just "congestion" they could have found the tumor sooner and maybe it still wouldn't have been cancerous
I have a fear about that with my dad. But boy did you go through the ringer with your mom! Every time I think it can't sound worse, it does.
I am like that a lot as I do not like to go to the doctor that much and specially when I feel like crud which is when I should go according to my friends and my son. but sitting in the waiting room hurting or acheing or coughing like crazy makes me feel like typhoid mary, a walking germ laden lady.but I do know its best togo before something is really wrong. I just missed having my doctor make the right diagnosis by one day. I went to him as I was having sharp abdominal cramps and he said it was a flare up of diverticulitis so he put me on some antibiotics 'and the next day half my adbomen was broken out. so I called him and he said to go to the er. now if he had just fitted' me in that day he could have saved us both some troubles and money. but I went to the er and the er doctor took one look at the blisters on half my body. he said I have bad news and good news.the good news you do not have diverticulitis the bad news is you have shingles. now I had just probably given chicken pox to several people I came in contact that morning. now I will be charged for the er as my insurance has a copay on er if you are not admitted as a patient.oh well at least we found out what was wrong with me. like your dad I should have gone to the doctor sooner but it was five days of pain before I broke out with the shingles and my own doctor did not ever suspect shingles. oh well.lol.
It IS maddening that you can go to the doctor and get misdiagnosed. I have had that happen before. But I know what you mean about not wanting to go to the ER when you're in pain. Not a lot of people understand this, but I think you will. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to go to the ER! It sounds silly, but often times I think if I go, I'm just going to fall in the floor waiting to get a room.
@mimm45 (168)
My husband is like that. Whenever he is sick he doesn't go to the doctor unless it's so bad. He doesn't even take any medication. It's so unfair 'coz when I am sick he always tells me to take a medicine or brings me to the doctor. He believes in natural remedies - as in letting the virus go away by itself. Why can't he do what he says? lol
It has to be a man thing. I hate to group them all together, but it really seems like men put things off until they are just almost dying of pain.
@gabs8513 (48710)
Yes me and I had to learn the hard way that I can not do that As soon as I have the Pain in my Lungs or breathing gets worse I have to call as they can then catch the Infection before it gets worse I always wait till I realise it is not going to get better no matter what it is I know silly and now I do call them but only because I have learned the hard way that I can not ignore it I hope your Dad will be ok Sweetie
@valerie37 (981)
• Christiansburg, Virginia
My husband is like that. He'll complain about this hurting or that hurting. When I ask him if he wants to go to the doctor the answer is always the same, I don't need to go to the doctor. If he were hurt badly or very sick I'd probably have to knock him out and drag him to a doctor.
Yes, those men like to be tough, but sometimes tough is the worst thing possible!
@mikeysmom (2091)
my husband is like that. he never goes to the doctor until it is dire. i go when i have chronic pain in an area that won't go away in a few days or so. i go if i have a fever. but other than that i tend to nurse myself at home with herbal and homeopathic remedies.
Yeah, I try everything I can think of first.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh I am like that..I don't know if you remember, but I posted about when my appendix were taken out and the only reason I went to the hospital was because it was a Sunday evening and my husband and daughter would be at work and school the following day, leaving me home alone with my son who I believe was 4 at the time..So I went because if it was serious, I didn't want my son to be the only one there, all alone..
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
My little sister had her ear drums rupter last year it was very painful for her she has to be very careful how she takes a bath and washes her hair otherwise she get bad ear aches and she is always getting ear infections too. My husabnd refuses to go to the Doctors. He is so stubborn he has only been to the Doctors 2 times in 18 years. His complaint is that it cost to much cause they want ot run millions of test to see what is wrong and he has a eating skin cancer on his nose that just about covered the whole thing and is eating it's way through not a very good visual to think about but he won't go have ti removed cause of the cost he rather die from it then go into debt.
Both my husband and I would prefer to suffer through a bad flu than go to the doctor. Neither of us like paying the docs only to be told it is viral and there is nothing they can do about it. With our girls, we trust our instincts, and only go to the dr if we feel they need it. I did see the dr a few weeks ago and mentioned the sinus infection I appeared to have. Now this is the only time I have ever had a dr say this to me, he told me that being pregnant, I should have come in straight away so he could give me a script for some medicine that would help to prevent a sinus blockage. Too late once I did go in because the blockage was already there.
@winterose (39897)
Just about everyone I know is like that, we don't like hospitals and long waits, even a doctors appointment is a long wait and then you go for a 1,000 tests until they find out what is wrong with you
@vanities (11410)
• Davao, Philippines
yeah i guess it would save him a lot including infection and others...i had a problem also with my brother convincing him to do some routine check up since upon time i can remember he havent done anything yet or being ill or whatever...and now that he is old..hes 2 years older than me(im 46)was afraid to see a doctor scared of knowing what his sickness is...
@subha12 (18452)
I must say its Me! Most of the time at home. I do not go to doctors. i am having a pain for few days.my mom says i should see the dioctor. but i am reluctant. just dont want to take medicines and tsts
@dodoguy (1294)
Hi Spookybutt, I think I know where your Dad is coming from. It's hard not to be skeptical about the medical profession nowadays, what with all the treatments but never any cures - and all at exorbitant cost! Seems all the doctors know to do is hand out prescriptions to treat symptoms. I feel sorry for your father, having to put up with all that pain. Now, I WILL temper my bias against the medical profession in general, by saying that I DO have respect for surgeons - because they are good at patching up bits and pieces that are broken. Like when people smash up cars with other people in them. But there's hardly an allopathic doctor alive that has any clue how to actually CURE most any disease, permanently. I'd expect that a properly trained Native American medicine man (if any are left) might even be able to heal you Dad's ear entirely - or at least induce his body to heal it. I had a problem with one of my feet years ago - it would cause me terrible pain, on and off. And I went to see numerous doctors about it, none of whom were any more use than a wet dish cloth on a rainy day. In a word, completely useless. I finally had to go to a library, diagnose the problem myself, go to a doctor, tell him what was wrong with me, and get him to arrange a specialist appointment to have a neuroma excised from between the 2nd and 3rd metatarsal of my left foot. Problem fixed, and it's been right as rain ever since. Trust me on this, you and your Dad are 10 times smarter than 99% of the doctors out there. So IMO it's a bit sad that your Dad has been placed in the position of having to go to them to get palliative relief from the symptoms of a problem which the doctors SHOULD have fixed - permanently - for your Dad in the first place, years ago. And I hope he gets better real soon.
@ajayrekha (491)
Yes, my dad avoids to go to the doctors. Many a times to save money and now with time he has got developed it as habit. I tried to change his thinking by discussing it with him but it ended up in arguments. So finally I have given up to make him understand it. What should I say more to him even I also avoid doctors to save money, after all I am the true sone of my father.
@bieke81 (1067)
• Belgium
I don't like to go to the doctor. And now I stopped working outside the home and I'm a stay at home mom I don't have any reason to go. Before I would go to work even when my temperature was through the roof before I would realise I'd better would go to the doctor. Now I don't go anymore, only if I can't put one foot before the other he'll see me. Oh well, maybe I should learn, 'cause I need to take care of the kids during the day, and how would I do that if i'm to sick to get up? It all has to do with my youth. We lived with my moms aunt who had alot of diseases so when my brother or I just coughed we had to go to the doctors. So that would be at least ones a month. I think that's why I don't like to go now I'm older.
hehehe...I am like this. I put off going for as a long as I can. Often I try a home remedy and it works...but sometimes I just have to go no matter what. And I am a nurse by profession- at least I used to be...lol. I get it from my dad...he will usually only go as a last resort.