How do you get a DVD to play on an older computer?

My daughter has a Windows 98 computer, which was recently upgraded with a DVD - ROM. We had hoped to use the computer to run DVDs and watch movies. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize any of the DVD file types. All I can figure is that there is no compatible software on the system. It's a pretty old computer. I've changed out the CD Drive to a DVD ROM drive, but it still won't play DVDs. Is there some type of free or low cost DVD player software that I could get on the Internet and download onto the computer, so that my DVDs will run? Where could I find that online? If you have a link to the free or lowcost software, please share. Thanks!
@sisco100 (2343)
did it come with software when u bought the dvd drive. if not u can go to download.com and search for dvd drive software or programs. dose it read reguarl cd, sometime its tht the computer dosent reconize the new drive. the only other option is updating the platform form windows 98 to xp. the xp version already has software on it for watching dvds. well if u have any question or problems just add me and send me a message.
@taface412 (3175)
I bet your computer does not have a DVD plug-in....I am not sure if that is exaclty what it is called, but I know you have to have this put onto older computers in order to play DVDs. Call Staples, Best Buy, one of those places and ask them. I do not think they are too expensive. I thought the same thing when I added a DVD rom onto my computer. Good luck
try to download cyberlink power dvd and adjust the resolution of your pc ^^
@ferdzNK (3213)
KMPlayer is also a good free player for PC. You also have to download video codecs to play various video format try 'Combined Community Codec Pack' which contains Zoom Player and Classic Media Player of course all free softwares.