Kids and their Questions

@jalucia (1433)
My son is starting to ask questions ... constantly questions. Questions that have common sense answers, questions that I know he knows the answer to, questions that I don't know the answer to, questions that he doesn't need to know the answer to.... I know it's a great thing for kids to be curious, and you should never shut that curiousity down, but what about when you really don't feel like answering the question. What do you do?
@kellys3ps (3726)
My kids ask questions constantly! The only thing that kind of works is to turn it around on them and say, "I don't know, why do you think that is?"
@jalucia (1433)
I do that sometimes, too. But, everytime you do it you have to actually listen to their answer and respond. Sometimes it just drags things out.
@TriciaW (2441)
I guess it depends on the age and what questions he is asking. I know when they are little they go on and on for no real reason just to get you to talk to them. Now teens are a different issue. I don't know which group he falls in. I can tell you that from 1st grade on they hear a lot of things at school and some of their questions are due to kids talking at school. I find that I have always done best to just answer honestly and not to skirt around them. If I do then they think it is a big deal and keep asking not just me but friends and teachers. I know there have been a few times when my mouth about hit the floor and times when I wanted to burst out laughing but I have to resist that urge every time. The one things my girls tell me is that they know they can ask me questions and I will be honest. That means a lot to them and many of their friends have told them they wish they could do that with their mom too. Keep the answers short and on a need to know basis. Where do baby's come from one they all ask at some point. At first say from mommy's tummy. That usually pleases them. Of course as they get older you have to go into the uncomfortable at times details. Trust me though answering honestly is the best thing for you in the long run even if it is shocking.
@vidhyagowri (1974)
I scream whenever I dont feel like answering their questions. They ask you all sorts of questions
@spalladino (17922)
One of my kids went through the 20 questions and then some stage and it can wear you down fast! It's not going to mar your son for life if you tell him that you can't answer any more questions right now and offer to get back to the last one he asked at another time. Or you can suddenly remember something that you have to do, cook, a call that you forgot to make and let him know how sorry you are but you really have to take care of this. I also suspected that there were times when my son was intentionally trying to drive me nuts.
@chennai_b02 (1735)
Soem time its very much irritating if you are not in a position to answer his/her questions.. yes i know i have a kid, who is asking several questions, which i am not in a position to answer them, i.e., if i can tell the answer that he cannot able to understand, and i am not in a positon to explain them that how can he able to understand.. Some time, he may raise the question like you never think it off.. by that time, i just escape thats all.. Some time, if i tell the answer he use to ask Why?? What?? When?? and where etc.. This makes me very much irritating.. this is not mean that i am not able to reply him, but at his age, i am not in a position to explain. thats all.