This is cool!

@estherlou (5017)
Here is a web site that will tell you how long you have to work to earn a tank of gas. You put in your salary, the price of gas in your area, and how big your cars' gas tank is. I have to work 4.01 hours to fill up my gas tank! A half of days work to fill up my gas tank. How interesing. Check it out. http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/29/hours.gallons/index.html
@myklj999 (33023)
• Olney, Illinois
The average minimum wage worker has to work 10-12 hours to fill an 18 gallon tank. That's over a full day's work just for gasoline. There's nothing cool about that at all. The federal minimum wage is going to be $6.55 per hour as of July 24th of this year. At $4.00 per gallon and an 18 gallon tank, you're talking $72.00 to fill it. OVER ONE FOURTH OF A MINIMUM WAGE WORKERS CHECK WILL BE SPENT ON GAS. Something needs to be done about this; and quickly.
@Debs_place (10524)
That is a great point, I was not sure what minimum wage is and to see it in relationship to the gas prices makes it look even more hideously low. I am glad I am not a kid having to pay car insurance and then these gas prices too.
@youdontsay (3503)
Sounds like it gives you the exact information you need to let your legislature know how the cost of gasoline is affecting you! Lock and load - and shoot them the facts!
@blackbriar (9080)
Isn't cool to me, estherlou. I just found out I have to work 11hrs. to fill my car. That's 3 days work to fill it. Basically, I'm working to put gas in my car being I can work 3 days before I have to fill up again.
@terri0824 (4991)
This was very interesting. I have to work 3 1/2 hours to pay for a tank of gas. That really puts it into perspective doesn't it! I'd have to work way more hours on myLot to earn enough to fill up my tank. LOL just kidding, I enjoy mylot and find the earnings just a bonus.
@chrislotz (8200)
I have already figured out how many hours I have to work to pay for the gas we consume. My daughter and I work together cleaning houses and so we do a lot of travelling every week. We live in Calgary now and most of our clients, well all of them, live around Strathmore which is about 50 km from us. Plus we clean a lot of houses on acreages so we do a lot of driving. We figured it out as - in one week we have to clean one - two hour house to pay for our gas for the week. Which is $100. We spend $100 every week just on gas. That is absolutly crazy, in my mind. But when figured to the wages we make it is only two hours a week for us. Not that bad after all.
@Lakota12 (42681)
I would have to work a whole day to fill mine up or if I go annually work no days that dont make since
@sedel1027 (17851)
Great post. At my last job I would have had to work almost 4 hours to pay for a full tank of regular gas. My hubby only has to work for 1.75 hours for a tank of premium gas.
@Debs_place (10524)
That only works if you get to take home what you make in an hour. We have to figure more time since we pay taxes on our income. And how much we pay for gas does not seem relevant since the next day it is higher. I girl I work with went to get gas yesterday morning and it was 4.13 a gallon, as she was pumping it they raised it to 4.31 a gallon ( Super big ouch!). This is well past ridiculous, I drive to work and necessary places...I can't cut anymore.