A great cooking tip!

I'm so picky with the way my food tastes. Last night, I made toast on my George Foreman grilling machine and it tasted terrible! I can't get that taste out of my mouth. I think my machine is getting old. It tasted like dish detergent. I have to wash the machine grill plates off between each use. And, for some reason, the dish detergent stuck to the grill. Next time, I'll be much more careful. I've had this happen before with my pots and pans and everything comes out tasting wrong. Just a tiny bit of soap residue on your pot can make a soup taste awful! So, I try to rinse everything doubly before each use. It's much better to be a little picky with food preparation, so you don't have to suffer when eating! What's your best cooking tip? Do you find that a little extra prep time helps your food taste better?
With the grill, I'd suggest just wiping them down with white vinegar after you use them. I have a quesadilla maker that started doing the tastes-like-soap thing, and the vinegar cleaned it right up and leaves behind no yucky residue.
That's brilliant! I must put that on my shopping list. Thank you!
@nicholejade (2430)
I honestly couldn't imagine doing toast on a george forman grill. Mind you I have never tried it either. I like my toaster oven and toaster too much I guess. Tasting like soap is not a good way either. I personally have never had this before but I have had other tastes. When someone doesn't clean the pot properly and it was from the meal before I have tasted that. With things tasting like soap I will always remember my grandmother giving me thrills gum. I now stay away from soap at any costs.
When my little one got tall enough to reach up onto the counter, I threw both my toaster and toaster oven into the trash. She had a habit of trying to pull both off the counter. And, if one had been hot at the time, it would have been a disaster. I couldn't take that chance. Of course, every household is different. We have a small kitchen counter space. And, nowhere to hide appliances. They have to be stored out in the open. I'm always afraid my daughter will take one off the counter and plug it into an outlet and get burned. The grill works much better, noone's been injured with that yet. And, no risk of electical shock, like there is with a toaster. You know, the old fork in the toaster. I don't trust kids! They don't know better. That's their excuse.
HAHA I can honestly say that I have never put a fork in the toaster. However I did put barbies and GI Joes in there HAHA the melting time begins.
@schulzie (4064)
I have never had a problem with soapy taste with my George Foreman grill. But I don't have the one with the removable plates, mine are attached. I always use a paper towel with a little dishwashing detergent on it and try to clean it a couple hours after I use it. I always make sure to rinse it really well and dry it too before using it. I have never made toast on it but I do make panini sandwiches on it. I noticed that one of your responses suggested cleaning it with vinegar to get rid of the soap scum. Have you tried it yet? Did it work? Thanks for letting us know.
@judy43 (299)
It sure does. Most of the time I rinse every pan before use. some times even my dishwasher leaves water spots so I try hard to be careful