how do i stay positive?

@katemeow (847)
Singapore
there are a lot of HORRIBLE things happening in our world today. i know its great to be positive but sometimes i cannot help but feel like a pessimist. my question is: how do you stay positive despite all the crime/ disasters on TV? thanks!
I used to be a very negative person. Then I decided to look at all the positive things in my life. I have a healthy, beautiful 12 year daughter who is a good student and doesn't get in much trouble at all. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on my table. That's more than a lot of people can say. When something happens that could make it a bad day I say to myself "if this the worst thing to happen to me today I am pretty lucky." Believe or not, I have really changed my tune by telling myself that. I still have bad days once in a while. I had one last week, but I was still able to laugh about it. I would still say I am cynical, but in a healthy way. I turn the news off when it gets to be too much or I limit how much I watch. I still know what's going on, but I don't need to watch those images 24/7. I remind myself that there are good people out there. I live in a rural area with little crime, so this helps me to see there are still good people out there. I took my daughter out yesterday and bought her one of those inflatable pools. My neighbor came over to chat and saw us pumping away with the bike pump. She grabbed her air compressor and brought it over to help me out. There are good people out there. Not everywhere, but they do exist. After all life is about the little things.
I only watch the news a couple of times a week rather than 2 or 3 times a day! I have very little patience for stupid people, especially those that prey on other weaker types. The news seems to glorify the bad guys and it makes me sick so I just shut them off! LOL!