Baby burned red raw by sof which gave off toxic chemicals

June 21, 2008 5:35am CST
Babies aswell as adults have had to go to hospital due to skin problems from various sofas. One parent thought it was a rash to start of with. Another child looked like she had had cigarettes stubbed out on her so his nursery called social services!! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1028097/This-baby-burned-red-raw-sofa-giving-toxic-fumes-As-investigation-reveals-hundreds-victims.html One woman was put on an antibiotic drip another was off work for six months and one man ended up in casualty because of their skin being affected by these sofas. These people were exposed to a substance called dimethyl fumarate (DMF). It is a particularly toxic fungicide. Those who come into contact with it should wear protective glasses and clothing. How could any of those who were injured have possibly known they were at risk simply by sitting on the sofa at home? Sachets of DMF, it transpires, were put in thousands of Chinese manufactured suites to stop them going mouldy in storage or while being transported. But it seemed to be that when anyone sat on these sofas, a chemical reaction was set in motion. Body heat caused the dimethyl fumarate to vapourise. The poisonous vapour was released into the leather. The contact often resulted in burns. Sometimes it took months for the effects to become apparent. Doctors were baffled.
1 response
@Thoroughrob (11748)
• United States
15 Oct 09
I bet the doctors were baffled. Who would have ever thought. That would be one place no one would even begin to think to look. Can you imagine?