I'm ill - what comfort food should I eat?

@liquorice (3901)
Well, I'm ill with an annoying cough/ bad throat/ earache-type thing and I'm feeling yucky. (I know, I should really be in bed!) So I've decided that tomorrow being the weekend, I'm going to make pancakes with lemon and sugar to cheer myself up. (Well, I might share them if I'm feeling generous!!) What other comfort foods are good for making you feel better? (and by better I mean happier; I know pancakes aren't going to be a miracle cure! ) What treats do you make for yourself when you're not well?
i like soup, and now adays they have different kinds of soup so you dont have to just eat the traditional chicken noodle. try stick to liquids and foods that arent heavy becuase your stomach may not be able to handle it.
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for your answer. I think soup seems to be the top suggestion here, and very sensible too. I'm feeling like eating lots of hot things for my throat, hence having some curry today, and I'll have some soup tomorrow. One of my favourite soups is lentil soup. Think I've got a tin of that somewhere... Yum!
I find soups do it for me. The warmth helps soothe symtoms. I don't believe that if your sick, food is going to make you feel happy. I'd rather eat foods that take away the misery of being sick.
@liquorice (3901)
Good point about eating foods that make you better. I'm just eating the foods that I feel like, and maybe I'm craving them because my body needs them in order to get better? Like the curry today. Sometimes I think that curry really helps to burn out the germs. Soups are great too. I might try the ginger one suggested above. My pancake idea seemed like a good one last night, but when it came down to it I didn't feel like it. Maybe my body knew that that wouldn't help me to feel better?
@YOULANLIU (312)
Maybe you have catched a cold now.Yes, I think that is one of the most painful disease.People can only be lying in bed unable to do anything for days.Just as the friend had said above,chicken soup is a good kind food to treat cold.And in China,the best food to treat cold is ginger soup.You can cut the ginger into pieces and drink the decoction of them,usually people put sugar in the soup to make the taste better.After you drink the gingery soup,you can have a sleep with a quilt covered.After sweating,you will find all the symptoms could be disappear.You can have a try.
@liquorice (3901)
Yes, I know that chicken soup is supposed to be a great cure for illness. I like your suggestion of the ginger soup as well, and I might try that. The shop round the corner sells ginger and I really love it. I like drinking Chinese ginger tea, it's sooooo spicy, but it gives you a good feeling doesn't it? Is the soup you're talking about the same as the tea? It's interesting what you say about the soup helping you to sweat out the cold. It sounds like a good treatment to try. Thanks for telling me about this.
Hey liquorice, when I feel bad, my comfort food are fast food as I usually restrain myself from eating them as they are unhealthy and fattening. i guess when you suppress yourself from eating a certain type of food, you will crave it so much that when you feel depressed you will say to yourself, 'What the heck? Since everything is not going right, why don't I just eat what I wanted to eat'.
@liquorice (3901)
Yes, I agree! We have an expression "a little of what you fancy does you good". You might've heard it; it describes exactly what you're saying . And I think that this especially applies when you're ill. Yes, in the end I had some curry as that was just what I fancied eating.
@jonesy123 (3950)
I rather stick with chicken soup, or double noodle soup.
@liquorice (3901)
Thanks for your answer jonesy. Actually I woke up this morning feeling so bad that my pancake idea never took off! Noodle soup is probably a much more sensible idea Today I opted for curry as I felt like it might burn my germs away, and I think it helped a bit.