Beware the exploding deodorant can!

@guybrush (4660)
Australia
July 2, 2008 1:24am CST
About 18 months ago, my son came out of work and got in his car - only to find his windscreen was shattered to bits! After the initial shock, he discovered he'd left a deodorant can on the dashboard, and because it had been in the sun all day it had exploded! There were bits of metal stuck deep into the vinyl dashboard - and it occurred to him how dangerous it would have been if it had happened whilst he'd been driving! I'd warned all my kids many times about taking aerosol cans or disposable cigarette lighters into their cars, but of course young people just laugh at we silly old things with our weird warnings. A very expensive lesson this time, as my son had to buy a new windscreen - but it certainly could have cost him a lot more if he'd lost an eye or maybe his life. Has something similar ever happened to you?
3 people like this
7 responses
@chiyosan (30194)
• Philippines
3 Jul 08
wow! its the first time i heard this.. thanks for the information and i will remind my brother about this.
2 people like this
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
3 Jul 08
I'm glad you're going to remind your brother, chiyosan. It's important the information gets around. It would have been terrible if my son had been driving when it happened - he could have swerved in front of other cars and affected a lot of other innocent people. A terrible thought.
1 person likes this
• Philippines
3 Jul 08
waaaaaaaaahhh! this is freaky. good thing i dont have a car! seriously, they should remove all those types of products. i know they have a warning to keep it out of fire, but it is still dangerous. we should be looking for alternatives.
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
3 Jul 08
Yes, I agree we should be looking for alternatives. Aerosols are so widely used for so many products I'm sure we don't treat them with the respect they deserve.
1 person likes this
@aimsmith (30)
• United States
3 Jul 08
Something similar to this was on the show "Mythbusters" on the Discovery channel. They left soda cans in a hot car in hopes of them blowing up.
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
3 Jul 08
Did they blow up, aimsmith? Soda cans probably wouldn't have had quite the same pressure in them as aerosols, though.
1 person likes this
@Hatley (164232)
• Garden Grove, California
3 Jul 08
the incident that happened to us was not so much dangerous as just silly. we were living in Tempe arizona at the time, someyears back and had been grocery shopping. somehow a tube of ready to bake biscuits had been tossed up onto the back window space in our car, actually two tubes and suddenly on this very hot day as we were deciding whether to take our groceries home first then go to our favorite restaurant we heard a loud bang, and we both looked in the back. we had exploding biscuits shooting out of both tins, biscuits all over the back seat. another timewe weredriving through santa ana past a huge fire in a Sears warehouse when we had to stop. the aerosol cans in the factory kept going off like guided missiles and were hitting cars and everything else. we just sat there for a long timee as traffic had been halted and was being routed around the danger zone. every few minutes another can would sail out the windows of the warehouse.we must have been in that line for almost an hour as they got traffic unsnarled.
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
3 Jul 08
How horrific, Hatley - though I had to laugh at the thought of exploding biscuits! I don't think we have those in Australia (more's the pity) - but they sound like weapons of mass destruction! The Sears warehouse incident would have been very frightening!
1 person likes this
@Hatley (164232)
• Garden Grove, California
13 Jul 08
thanks so much for best response much appreciated.
@phoenix25 (1542)
• United States
3 Jul 08
Wow. I guess your son will think twice before leaving aerosol proucts in his car. They tell you not to expose those cans to heat and most people don't realize how hot their car can get when it's parked. A metal can left on the dashboard could get especially hot in the sun. I'm glad he wasn't in the car when it exploded. Thank goodness for that. As for me, I haven't really had anything like that happen to me. The worst that has exploded in my car was a can of soda that exploded because it froze in the car in the winter time.
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
3 Jul 08
I did try to talk my son into using roll-on deodorant after that! The exploding soda would have been horrible for you, because it would be a nasty, sticky mess to clean up. They do put warnings on aerosol cans - but not in very large writing, and I'm sure people don't bother reading them. They should probably add one of those red danger triangles in a place where it's more easily seen.
@gemini_rose (16192)
2 Jul 08
No, but I know how dangerous these can be as I have seen kids messing about with them. Where I used to live they would make fires and throw them onto it, they seemed to think it great fun to have them explode. They are so dangerous and I dont think many people realise how dangerous they really are.
1 person likes this
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
2 Jul 08
That's really frightening, gemini_rose, to think these kids are messing around with aerosols on purpose! It's only a matter of time before someone loses a hand or an eye - then I suppose aerosols will be banned completely.
1 person likes this
@DonnaLawson (4032)
• United States
2 Jul 08
Well, that is the very exact reason that we older folk have the saying, "I told you so" but you didn't listen.. I am thankful that he didn't get hurt but when we were younger we had to learn by doing also.. The lessons that we can learn can get to be very expensive..
1 person likes this
@guybrush (4660)
• Australia
2 Jul 08
You're right, Donna! I've tried talking my son into using roll-on deodorants - but without success!
1 person likes this