She just would not go to sleep!

@lilybug (21145)
Tonight my daughter fought sleep like you would not believe. She resisted sleep until she could take it no more. She actually sat up on her bed propped up on her arm trying to stay awake for about 20 minutes. She finally passes out at almost 11pm. What do you do to convince your small child to go to sleep when they are fighting it? Got any tips to relax them and get them to just go to sleep already?
@KUSHANK55 (2437)
hi lilybug i am reminded of the days they were. my three kids now the younger one is twenty. those were the days when my wife (under such circumstances) used all her techniques to put the child to rest . one of the things she used was putting the child on the lap and moving the leg repeatedly up and down on which was the child was placed and at the same time slapping the child`s head slowly with the palm and singing some thing to avoid any kind of noise to reach the child from tv or otherwise to avoid the disturbance to the child, and yes it used to take lot of effort and time but the child will definitely give up . many a time warm milk helps at bed time.
@lilybug (21145)
My daughter used to like to be rocked, for awhile she liked to be bounced, and for awhile she like you to just put her in bed and she would get herself to sleep. None of those seem to be working now.
@im1096 (2)
When my children were very small I would hold them in the rocking chair and sing softly to them. They usually would be asleep in a few minutes. I recently found that this works with my nine month old grandson too. When they got a little older I read to them about a chapter or so from a favorite book and they went right to sleep.
@lilybug (21145)
My daughter does not want to be held when she is tired. She is 17 months old.
@bellaofchaos (11549)
WEll a nice soothing bath before bedtime with some lavender in it is great along with after that a nice bed time story that you let them chose. If that doesn't work you might want to give them a warm glass of milk. Take care and good luck.
@amigula (120)
see usually when child had a sound sleep in the afternoon they usually dont agree to go to bed at night so easily.they wanted to play and want to enjoy as they are comparatively fresh.Better way is to make balance to it.Try not to make them sleep for so long during afternoon and you will see they will also then try to go for a bed easily when you tell them.