Do you think that the US should have a national health care system?

I think the USA should look at other countries that have national health care systems. The insurance companies would no doubt have a fit, but the cost of healthcare has gotten way out of hand! I understand that in Germany you pay a certain percentage of taxes and then your healthcare is paid for. I would go for that. I think that we should all lobby our congressmen to press for a new healthcare system for the US. People are growing broke paying for medicines and healthcare and people on a fixed income have to decide rather to get their medicine or pay the light bill. That is just wrong! You can't afford to pay the insurance premiums which go up every year and you can't afford not to have insurance, so what do you do? Any opinions on this matter?
@peavey (16879)
Why don't we put a leash on insurance companies? That's where the problem is. Why put a bandaid on a broken arm?
I agree. Its the insurance companies that are causing a good majority of the problems. I really don't think that there will ever be a cure for cancer and other diseases because the insurance companies and pharmacuetical companies are making a killing off of it!
@ersmommy1 (12597)
I think it would be helpful. My mother is 60. And has no insurance. She recently had 1 blood test. It cost her $650. Paying a certain amount of your taxes would definetly be more beneficial than going broke or being homeless from hefty medical bills. It is awful.
I know there are a lot of people that can't afford to have insurance and even if you do have insurance it seems to still cost an arm and a leg. I havae a feeling I will have to keep working as long as I can simply to be able to have insurance!
i dont really know much about the US healthcare system i am from England and we have the NHS here, where everybody is entitled to free medical care no matter what the cost etc, as long as it is deemed neccisary, some cosmetic preocedures are carried out but only a few. i think its great dont get me wrong we do pay for it with our taxes but its great to know its there when we need it i think the NHS is fabulous and cant credit it enough
I wish our country would take a look at England and other countries that have successfully implemented healthcare that works for their citizens! Thans for your feedback!
@fwidman (11515)
I do wish we had a national health care system. It seems to work just fine in other countries, so why not here? I do not have insurance any more, not since I was forced to retire with a bad back. I don't know how people can afford insurance and still try to keep up with the cost of living
It doesn't seem fair. You work your rear end off and then have health problems and because of the premiums you can no longer afford to have insurance. It just isn't right. Best wishes to you.
Absolutely I do. I think that the costs of healthcare in the US are outrageous. I think that alot of people need to have healthcare that currently do not have it do to the outrageous cost. Many employers will not even pay for healthcare coverage for their employees any more because it is too costly. I think that something has to be done in this country. Please do not vote for more of the same this fall!
Yeah it seems that every year my employer pays less and we have to pay more out of pocket. And even when you do have insurance the insurance company wants to fight really stupid things. I had carpal tunnel surgery the day after Xmas and they have not paid for it yet. I was in the hospital a whole total of 2 hours and the insurance company is fighting hospital over it. So whose pocket do you think that will come out of if they don't pay? Yeah - mine. Don't get me started I could write a book of gripes.