Kitten with fractured femur

@momiecat (997)
I rescued a kitten who had been accidentally run over by a car. I took her to a vet and he said she had a fractured femur. She also has a wound on the same leg and the wound was infected. She had been living outdoors with irresponsible owners. She is now on antibiotics and has a splint on the leg. That cost me $70. The doctor said he wanted to do surgery to pin the femur. That would cost $500. Plus the wound may need stitches and that would cost about $400 more. In total he quote me $900 or may be a little less. He thought this was a very good deal. I don't have that kind of money. I am going to take the kitten to my vet for a second opinion but unfortunately that will cost money too. My vet will change the splint and care for the wound. I want to know what will happen if I do not have the kitten go through surgery? It is a terrible situation because I want to help her but I truly cannot afford to get into any more debt.
@cyberfluf (5004)
• Netherlands
Poor little kitty! It's a good thing that there are people like you out there that are prepared to take care of these kittens that get injured and would proberbly be put to sleep because of the high costs of making them better. I know there are foundations that have money for these type of things, the NSPCA might have some usefull links for you on the whereabout of these organisations. They might chip in so the animal can be saved, they do this with the gifts they receive from the people that support the organisation. I'll try and think up what else I might know, make sure she gets lots of love and cuddles in the mean time . Fills my heart with warmth and joy to know that there are warm and giving people out there who will rescue a cat and take care of it as it were their own.
@momiecat (997)
Hi Cyberfluf, thank you for your nice post and the idea about NSPCA. I will check with more of the rescue organizations. The kitty has a new name -- DaVinci. He is doing okay but needs a lot of TLC. He is in very good hands now with a compassionate vet. I think he will get better eventually but it is going to be a long time. Everyone check under your car and tires before proceeding. You never know what is going to be under there.
@cyberfluf (5004)
• Netherlands
That's great to hear and what a lovely name ! All the best and take care!
@anawar (2406)
momiecat_ you are the type of person this world needs. Not everyone would consider caring for this cat or feeling responsible for its injuries. I'll tell you a true story about my daughter's cat. As horrible as this sounds, the cat got run over by a car, but lived. When she took him to the vet, the vet told her the cat had a spiral fracture in its leg and the surgery would be over $4,000.00. That left my daughter with only one option. She brought the cat home and hoped for the best. Maybe animals heal better than humans, but that cat runs just as well as he did before the accident, with no medical intervention necessary. As you mentioned, I would get a second opinion from your vet. It's obvious you can't spend anymore money than you have already_ and you have spent more than most people would even think to consider! If all else fails and the cat is suffering, well, it's hard to say, but there is the option to euthanize. It sounds horrible, but sometimes I think humans would rather die than live their lives in misery, hooked up to machines and not recognizing their own family members.
@momiecat (997)
Hi there, thank you for your response. The kitten is stable for now. The leg is splinted, she is receiving antibiotics and she is eating well. She is going to the doctor tomorrow and we will see what needs to be done. Hopefully, either splinting or a cast. I really do not want her to have surgery. Someone is offering to help me raise money for surgery if that is necessary. The world does need more kind people to help all the animals in need. Euthanizing is not an option for me if the kitten can get better with medical care. I guess I would sell my soul to help a kitty. :)
@momiecat (997)
Well, it turns out that this little kitten is not a she, but a he. We first named him Blackie and just changed it to a more regal name -- DaVinci. He is now under the care of a 3rd vet and this vet really seems to know what he is doing. He is kind and considerate but his services still cost money. The kitten has a wound that had maggots in it. First vet bandaged leg and did not say to come back to check the wound. Next vet unwrapped bandage, more maggots (crap!). Re-wrapped wound again, checked, no more maggots, thank God. 3rd vet said wound is big and needs to heal a bit before surgery to repair femur fracture. 2nd vet took x-rays ($160) and said DaVinci also has a 3-part pelvis fracture. 3rd vet said pelvis fractures will heal without surgery. Poor little baby but he is in good hands now. Still need small donations and/or ideas of making money (?online) fast. Economy is tight. Thanks everyone.
That poor thing she must be scared and in alot of pain aww I feel so bad for her. Who does the cat origionally belong to do you know? if she isn't claimed then I would get it done and keep her yourself but keep her inside for if she stays out she might find her way back to that house she once lived at again. I wish you the best of luck on this take care. :)
@momiecat (997)
Hi, thank you for your kind words. I found out he is a he and not a she (bad me). He is actually resting comfortably and in very good care at the moment. His mother is ?owned by some neighbors of a friend of mine. These neighbors are very irresponsible. They did not confine the kittens to the house or a space in the garage, etc. They let them roam around the yard even though very young. One of the siblings had the same thing happen -- run over by car accidentally -- and did not make it. My friend's husband accidentally ran over my kitten but mine was lucky to survive. He is under very good medical care now and is with a foster family. After he is well, he will be adopted out because I cannot keep anymore at the moment. I love him and wish to keep him but it is not possible. He will definitely end up in a better place/home than he was at in the beginning.
You are doing a wonderful job just by taking that kitten.. do what you can follow your motherly ways when it comes to that baby.. wait and see what your vet says .. if you tell him you just can't afford the treatments perhaps in his heart he will do a little extra for you :)
@momiecat (997)
Thank you for your response. I love cats/kittens too much to see them suffer. I believe the kitten is now in very good hands with the vet who is treating him. I have someone else helping me raise money but with the economy, things are really tight. Vet is going to do what he can but his time, expertise and supplies still cost. I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi momiecat, I did some researching and here's a site I thought you'd like to see. It may help you and then again, it may not but it's definetly worth a try! It has different sites in which help our fur babies in need of medical care. I'll be saying a prayer for your little sweetheart and of course YOU who rescued her!! http://felinediabetes.com/vetbills.htm
@momiecat (997)
Wow, how nice of you to go the extra step to help. I really appreciate it and I will check out the site you mention. It is worth a try to help raise money for vet bills. Even the most kind and caring vet needs to make money and I can understand that. I just wish it was not so expensive. Let me know if you think of any other ideas. Thanks again.
@scaflone8 (190)
Wow your such a nice person to do that. I hope more people are like you. i think they are charging so much for a surgery to a cat. Why not try caring for the cat instead and ask for some medicine they can offer. Don't stretched your budget too much. I know you want to help the cat. Try praying for its safety recovery. I'll pray for her too. The best help You can give to it is your TLC.. ~Scaflone~
@momiecat (997)
Thank you for your thoughts. I wish there were more people like me too. I wish I had lots of money to take care of each and every kitty that comes my way. I would love to open up an orphanage and take care of lots of kitties. Thank you for your prayers. There are people praying for the kitten and I think these prayers are helping.
@muxicka (216)
Don't you want to run as president in your country? joke... Kill the vet. I think he's just gaining money out from you...
@momiecat (997)
Yes, if I ran for President I would make all kinds of new rules regarding kindness towards animals and stricter punishment for crimes against animals. I would definitely punish those irresponsible iddiots who basically allowed this to happen by not protecting those kittens.
@Aurone (4757)
Poor kitten. I hear ya on the vet cost. I recently went into debt $1600 on my kitties for their various ailments and will have to probably spend more. My older cat has a lung problem that if it is not a parasite cause issue then they will want to remove part of her lung so she can breath easier and I am sure that is not cheap. The vet is so expensive. Its makes it hard for us that want to care for our kitties but can't afford to.
@momiecat (997)
I really hope your older cat gets better. I hope it is not cancer. I have had cats with cancer and it is devastating. It is very difficult to come up with the money for the vet bills. It is terrible to get into so much debt over it but what other choice do we have. We love them so much! Thank you for your comments.
My 12 week old kitten just fell off the banister in our home and fell down onto the stairs below. She ended up with a long fracture of her right hind femur. As fractures go, femurs are one of the most common of leg fractures, and as I've just found out are the MOST SERIOUS. It is a very bad idea to just "let the cat heal" by itself. A fracture could result in a pointed bone causing soft tissue damage, and nerve damage could result. Infection and other problems are also possible. Splinting a femur is impossible. That simply isn't an option. If it was the lower leg, a splint would be possible. But a femur is basically a thigh bone. It is the longest bone in the body (cat or human), and sits between two joints. So as I'm writing this, my kitten is undergoing surgery to get a pin put in place. The surgery is going to cost us a minimum of $1300. With follow up and pain medication, it could be $1500. I'm lucky that I have enough money to do this. I realize not everyone does. If you don't, then I would highly consider getting health insurance for your pet, especially if you have a young animal that you expect to keep for many years to come.