Wicca Vs. Witchcraft

@Kat4676 (474)
Witchcraft is older than the studies of Wicca but, they hold a lot of the same beliefs. There can be good and bad in all religions. I am more ecclectic due to the fact that I believe in what both have to say. Witches do not concern themselve with the same repercussions that Wiccans do. Wiccans believe that "if you harm none do what you will" where not all Witches do. Witches believe that you are responsible for your own life and actions, this I also believe in but I do not tend to harm anyone. My question is this: Can you be both Wiccan and Witch? I believe that I am.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
I dont see why not...To me the reality is, ONLY YOU can decide for yourself what is acceptable and what isnt in your own personal life be it every day living or spiritually etc etc....I've had ppl tell me that I cant possibly be a Witch and Buddhist because of whatever reason (it varies) or that there is NO WAY I could REALLY have Vodou as part of my path because I wasnt "taught" by an elder or that there is NO WAY I could have Native American Spirituality as part of my path because I'm not N.Am....The truth of the matter is however, they arent me, so what THEY think is of no concern...I KNOW what comes from my soul, they have no clue... If you believe that you are both Wiccan and a Witch then you ARE both....
@Kat4676 (474)
Thank you for that reply. I have tried to explain it to myself and others but could never get it out right. That helps a lot to open the eyes. People are in charge of their own beliefs, it is just whether they realize it or not. My mom is 1/4 Chocktaw and believes strongly in what they believed in but, she is also Lutheran. I will try to relay from here to her to let her know that it is ok. Thank you again for your great response! +
Raven...I think maybe the best response. Kat.....Raven always has great responses. I think she is a truly lady. I really would love to meet her in person someday.
@Galena (9123)
yes you can. you can also be a Witch but not Wiccan, and to some extent, I think you could also be a Wiccan but not a Witch. Witchcraft is a craft. an activity. like carpentry. it can be practiced by anyone that turns their mind to it, whatever they beleive in. Wicca is a religion, albeit a modern one, and followers of that religion do usually practice Witchcraft, as Gardner himself did. most Witches are not Wiccan. Witches can be male, female, black, white (ethnicity, rather than flavour) tall, short, Pagan, Christian, Buddhist, young, old, atheist, whatever. so Witchcraft is a practice. Wicca a set of beleifs. and can happen together or separately.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I've never thought of witchcraft itself as being exclusive to any other practice, because basically any kind of spellcraft and many types of ritual would be considered "witchcraft". It's a very broadly defined term. I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, but part of my practice could easily be considered witchcraft. It's the same with most types of pagans that I know, and quite a few people I know practice witchcraft without any real religious expression to it. So I don't see how there would be any problem with being a Wiccan witch. In fact, I'm trying to figure out if I've ever met a Wiccan that didn't define themselves as a witch, and I can't think of any. It's a pretty common term in Wiccan literature, and often seems to be used interchangeably. Though that gets confusing because while Wiccans might be witches, not all witches are Wiccans. I find Wicca pretty interesting, but it would never be my personal path. *shrugs*
Sure you can be both. It is a personal choice on what you believe and how you choose to practice those beliefs. I am a witch but not a Wiccian because I do not choose to follow the rules, if you will, of Wicca. I also know much of the story/teachings of Jesus and the Christian God and the meaning behind their morals but do not and will not call myself a Christian because those pesky rules drive me nuts, even though my morals code is very much inline with theirs for many things. I do not claim any organized religion because the rules are just too limiting on me. I'm a very free thinking person and take what I need when I need it and if I don't need it, or don't agree with it I leave it where it is. I know right from wrong and I know good from evil and I make my choice daily on what I will do and what I won't. I think it scares a lot of people when they meet someone who is sure of themselves and that doesn't have to answer to a higher power in order to get through the day.
Thanks for making this discussion. I was wondering that very thing. I would like to study Wicca to see if it is for me. I think it is very interesting. Oh, I see some cowardly flybytagger put a nasty tag that is TOTALLY UNTRUE. Didn't have the nerve to post here so we would know who they were. Blessings to all anyway.
@Kat4676 (474)
I noticed that tag as well. I won't take offense to it tho as then I would be the same. Everyone has their own beliefs and when they degrade someone else's I am not sure what is going on.
@AdalieM (1135)
Just like everybody said, you can be both. Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is not. Both beliefs have similar beliefs and similar celebrations to my understanding. If you believe in it you are both.