retired greyhounds

We got a retired greyhound 6 years ago. He was over 5 years old when we got him and very nervous. Goodness knows what he had been through before we got him. He had been rescued from Ireland by the Dogs Trust. Shadow is the most placid dog now. He took a while to settle in and he was frightened of a lot of things. Mow the only thing that bothers him is bangs. Fire work night is a nightmare for him. Greyhounds are idea for people who are not very agile. both my husband and I are disabled. Is there anyone else with a rescued dog? What sort of experiences have you had with dogs?
@Pigglies (9336)
That is so wonderful of you to rescue a greyhound. I have dreamed about being able to rescue a greyhound for a long time now. I think it would be the perfect dog for me, a couch potato like myself. Maybe do an occasional walk, but I couldn't handle a dog that needed a lot of exercise. At first I thought it could never be meant to be, because I have house rabbits. But then I talked to someone at the greyhound rescue near us and they also have house rabbits. They told me that some of them could never be around rabbits, but it really depends on the individual dog. It seems like it might work if I adopted one that had been fostered with them and their rabbits. All my pets are rescued (rabbits, guinea pigs, zebra finches), so whenever I end up getting a dog, it will definitely also be a rescued dog.
You can get greyhounds that are quite young and have never been raced so they would be fine with your other animals. Hope you can find one soon. Thay are well worth having.
@Pigglies (9336)
Thanks for the best response! If they haven't been raced yet, are they just in rescue because they were never good enough to race or something? I'd prefer an older dog but wouldn't mind a young one. A lot of times they still would have an instinct to chase my rabbits I think, but hopefully I could do something where I could try it out first and make sure the adoption works. Definitely in the near future.
Hello Wanderer086, I have never had a rescue pet. But I can understand why they would be so nervous in the begining. I am glad that he fits into you and your Husbands lifestyles. I can see wh loud bangs would bother the poor dog. They do not understand why the noise is there, where it is coming from and why it was not there before. I have not had a dog for several years now. But when I was growing up we use to love having them! My husband and I have 2 cats Tony ( m ) and Gizmo ( f )....
I used to have cats but I got asthma and could not have them anymore. We then rescued a terrier cross who was a lovely little dog and we have had a rescue dog ever since.