Rugmaking seems like a more forgiving craft than most, esp. rag rug crafting. Is

@writersedge (22577)
it? I've seen books on ragrugs and I even have one. But I'm not sure if it is a forgiving craft. Most things I make, like weaving, are tight on one side and loose on the other, same with knitting and crotcheting. Does anyone make rugs out there? Is it a forgiving craft? Is there much of a market for rag rugs?
@carolbee (16231)
I would like to learn more about rag rugs. I know nothing about them. I've heard of the craft. Please let me know if there is a site that I can see how it's actually done. I do knit but can't crochet. Am knitting an afghan for the past 3-4 months and it's only about half done. Makes me sleepy. I need it finished by the end of October.
@writersedge (22577)
All kinds of directions are on: http://www.rugmakershomestead.com/contents.html try that and see what you think.
@carolbee (16231)
Thanks so much for sending the link. It looks like a terribly difficult and time consuming craft. Was looking at the knitted rag rugs and they are really pretty.
@writersedge (22577)
If you find a way to cut multiple rags at once on a cutting board for quilts or some really good scissors, that's a really rough part, getting all those cut. Then to get the correct size (in your case) knitting needles to handle them, but you can use most any way like you make squares for an afghan or lines across like an afghan. From what I can see, but I don't knit, if you can make an afghan, you can make a rag rug. Maybe you could use rug yarn for the first one. Take care
@twoey68 (13651)
Personally I don't know of anyone that makes them but I'd love to learn to make the braided ones. I just love the look of them. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get the kit and start making them but then I keep putting it off when other things come up. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS**[/b]
@writersedge (22577)
See links in answers for #2 above. Those links might give you the inspiration or more of a push toward that. Take care and thanks.
@PearlGrace (3172)
As a teenager, I made a few rag rugs by braiding strips of scrap materials, then wrapping them round and round, stitching it together to make a rug. Is that what you are talking about? They are kind of fun to make. But I haven't made one in 30 years or more. They are fun and you don't have to be all that neat or anything. Just cut up some old clothing or material into strips, braid them, and start whip stitching them. Yes, I'd say it is a forgiving craft. Not sure about the market for them though. But, gosh, writersedge, just writing about them makes me want to start making one right now! Thanks for the memories.
@peavey (16906)
I don't know if there's a market for them, but braided rag rugs are not hard to make. You can knit or crochet them, weave or hook them - there are a lot of ways to make them, so part of it would depend on how comfortable you were with the method used. I've braided, knitted and hooked rugs but never tried to sell them.
@writersedge (22577)
I've only bought the kits, but I was thinking about making one without the prestamped kit and precut rug yarn. I'd like to do a a real rag one. I think I would try hooked, but braided sounds interesting,too. Yes, I'm not sure if they would sell or not. Thanks and take care.
@suspenseful (40314)
I used to help make braided rugs and I did start a rag rug once, but did not get it finished. I was boarding at a friend's house soon after I adopted out my baby. I needed a place to stay and since I did not have grade twelve education, I had to catch up on my courses. She was into handcrafts, and she tried to help me learn how to braid a rug. So I helped her on hers, but I did not get it tight enough. I tried a rag rug, and I was fairly good, but I could not continue with that because I did not have enough money for the material. I am terrible at crochet but did not do much knitting after I found I could not bear any children (you sort of knit for your family and there are not that many knitting patterns for large built women) Maybe I will start up later, but I found that rag rugs is forgiving, but I do not see if there is a market unless you are talking about show rugs.
@writersedge (22577)
Do you mean showing the rugs at craft fairs? Yes, that is a posibility. Sounds like you learned as much as there was time to learn. I'm sorry your baby was adopted out. That must have been very hard. A friend of mine has no children, but makes things for her nieces and nephews. Take care
@writersedge (22577)
As far as money, I don't have any either, so my rag rugs will be true rag rugs, made out of real rags!