Christina Applegate has double mastectomy

@ersmommy1 (12596)
The 36-year-old actress elected to remove both bre*sts even though the disease was contained in one bre*st. She said she is now cancer-free. Do you think this was a bit radical? Or would you make the same decision? She was able to joke in an interview:I'm going to have cute boobs 'til I'm 90, so there's that," she joked in the interview, which aired Tuesday. "I'll have the best boobs in the nursing home. I'll be the envy of all the ladies around the bridge table."
I think I would do the same thing if I were in her situation. She needed to have one removed anyways so why not do the other. At least this way you will look semetric and it wont be so difficult to find a bra that fits. At least now she know's the cancer is gone and she can still feel confident. I give her kudos for being able to joke about it and for surviving this horrible disease!
The post before me is effin annoying. I just checked his/her profile. Seems like this person is just effin up good discussions. Back to the topic, if I went through the same thing, I would also think it's a good option for me. Doesn't matter what other people say. It's a good sign indeed that she can laugh about this experience.
@Virgie60 (556)
It was a tough decision I'm sure. My sister in laws sister did the same thing and had them both removed. I would say that was the right way to go if it weren't for the fact that she has had cancer twice since then. Hope this doesn't happen to Christina. I loved her in Married with Children. She is a great actress. Hope that she continues to be cancer free and will have a healthy life.
@katsmeow1213 (28910)
If I had to remove one to get rid of cancer, I'd much rather remove them both. I'd rather have none than just one. Her choice is only considered radical if she had no other options, such as chemotherapy.
@Barb42 (4216)
Sounds a little radical to me. Now days, unless it's really bad, they are able to have the same rate of recovery with a lumpectomy instead of a radical mastectomy. My pastor's wife had this about 6 or 7 years ago and she is fine.
@vanila (491)
• Israel
I didn't know that she even had this disease. it's so sad though she is taking it the right way. why it happend to her ? I like her as an actress and from what I saw in intreviws she is so honest and cute. why she didn't fight this ?! :(
@babyangie27 (5177)
Well if she has a fmaily history of cancer or if there was a chance it could spread to the other one. She may have made a good choice. Is there a link to the story?
@bamakelly (5193)
I have heard of Applegate's plight about a month ago and felt bad for her. However I thought that it was caught in the early stages and that she would be fine. Please do not take offense to this next question. Are you sure you got your information from the right source? This double mastectomy. I don't believe everything I here from tabloids and the television programs attached to them. If it is true about Applegate losing this part of her anatomy then I feel very bad for her and wish her a good recovery.
@bamakelly (5193)
I also wanted to add that I am not necessarily downplaying any news broadcast that gave this information about Applegate, I just like to hear it from reliable sources and I do believe it is what you heard.
@lilybug (21145)
Well, CNN is talking about it too, so I guess it is not some supermarket tabloid rumor. http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/19/people.christina.applegate.ap/index.html
I was reading that earlier and all I could say was WOW! That is a very brave move to make. But considering it was kind of a do or die type of thing I can understand why she did it.
@cripfemme (7713)
I don't think I would've had both bre*sts removed, but I can understand why she did it at the same time. Just not having to worry about it anymore, ever, will probably aid her recovery. Still, your right, it is a bit radical, removing a non-diseased body part. I hope it don't effect her profession. Acting is very looks based.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Oh, I didn't even know about this. It is most unfortunate that happened to her she is a good actress. I have known her since her stint on the Married with Children show. My mom once had a landlady that had to have one of her bre'st removed and she always felt self concious and always wondered if her insert(that was a artifical boob)was lopsided or this and that and if she moved a certain way it feel out and she was touchy about it. So I feel that maybe she done that so she wouldn't have to deal with the inserts or the self consiousness of the whole matter.
I feel as if this is a bit of an imposition into her privacy. I'm glad she has a good humor about it. I'm not sure why she would remove both at once. It does seem extreme. Perhaps there was some medical reason her doctor gave her.
I heard about this today on television. I don't know what I'd do in her situation. I would have to think really long and hard about if I wanted to have them both removed. At least she knows that it didn't spread.
@sharone74 (4838)
Yes I think that this may have been a bit radical of her to do but the fact is that she can afford to have them replaced if she chooses. It was her choice to ensure that she would not have to go through this possibly twice. She did what she had to do for her peace of mind. My heart goes out to her and I hope that she is doing well.
@NettyB (335)
I had NOT heard this, although I had heard she was diagnosed with bre*st cancer, but I thought they caught it early? Why in the world would she have them BOTH removed? Was it way far advanced? I think she will regret this the rest of life.
@lingli_78 (12836)
i just watch the news this afternoon and i think she is really very courageous... i know that she is devastated because she says so in the news and she also say that her mother experience the same thing in the past... but she is quite devastated by it... i hope she is courageous enough to fight her battle and her cancer won't return... take care and have a nice day...
@shell1986 (405)
I definitely do not believe that it is too drastic. I mean, this is her life and it is better to do more than necessary in order to sustain your life. I would probably have told the doctor to remove them the very first time he told me I had cancer. Plus, this way she can buy new boobies and have them forever! I love Christina Applegate and I hope she makes it through everything alright! She is definitely in my prayers.
@apples99 (6562)
Omg, i heard about that well they said that the cancer was not life threatening because she caught it early, so i dont understand why she decided to have a double mastectomy but, i guess we dont really know what we would do if we got a cancer diagnoses, but i can't imagine having to remove both of my you know whats, as a woman thats one of the worst things that could happen, but i guess she made the best choice for her, under the circumstances, i just know, i would be beyond devastated if i had to make a choice like that.
@sunshinecup (7880)
I don't know if I would have done any different really. Cancer is some scary stuff and rather than taking the chance, I think I would have had them both removed as well.
Yes, that is just a bit much. If there were no tumors in the other bre*st, even benign ones, there was no reason to have both of them removed. But we don't know where her reasoning for it comes from. Maybe she comes from a family where bre*st cancer is prominent, therefore she got them both removed in order not to have the trouble later. Its sad to think of her in this way, I still think of her as the dumb blonde older sister from Married With Children.