Right to Privacy Issue

@worldwise1 (14887)
First off, I would like to give credit to my friend, pyewacket, who discussed this issue some time ago here on myLot. It concerns the ease of acquiring ones personal and private information on the Internet. I was reminded of her post when I received one of my newsletters today. It listed 3 sites where anyone can go to find information about you such as phone number, address -complete with directions, age(mine was wrong), and some of them will even delve into all other aspects of your private life -for a price! I am horrified that these people are so callously giving out personal information like this. I was able to request that my name be deleted from one of the sites, but will have to return to the others to look into it further. The sites are as follows: www.whitepages.com, www.infospace.com, and www.switchboard.com. There are possibly others. Are you concerned about your private information being made so readily available? If you are you should check out these sites and enter your name and address.
@pismeof (855)
Wise1, The private information that is available is only the same that you could get out of an telephone book.E-mail and other information must be payed for and the request can only be granted by a legit employer or creditor as far as I know.
@worldwise1 (14887)
But, pismeof, doesn't it irk you that virtually anyone can snoop into your private life if they shell out the requested amount of cash? It's not that I have anything to hide, it just sucks!
@pismeof (855)
I know how you are feeling but, It isn't really just anyone that has access.You would have to have a legitimate business to be granted any information of significance.Just as an experiment try to get a friends e-mail address or social security number from the source your concerned about.
@mummymo (23707)
I do think there should be limits and guidelines for use of our personal info but in this day and age ANYONE can find out our personal information - and O find it extremely unnerving! xxx