Drive Through Mastectomy,, PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!

I got a e-mail today that I felt I should share with all my friends at MyLot! Please read it all! From a nurse: I'll never forget the look in my patients' eyes when I had to tell them they had to go home with the drains, new exercises and no breast. I remember begging the Doctors to keep these women in the hospital longer, only to hear that they would, but their hands were tied by the insurance companies. So there I sat with my patients, giving them the instructions they needed to take care of themselves, knowing full well they didn't grasp half of what I was saying, because the glazed, hopeless, frightened look spoke louder than the quiet 'Thank You' they muttered. A mastectomy is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a Mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in the hospital for 2 days after surgery. If there was ever a time when our voices and choices should be heard, this is one of those times. There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the 'drive-through' Mastectomy where women are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached. Lifetime Television has put this bill on their Web page with a petition drive to show support. Last year over half the House signed on. PLEASE!! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give more than your name, state, and zip code. http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcancer/petition/signpetition.php
@Wyldrose (1216)
Oh my gosh!! I can't imagine going home so soon after such a serious surgery. That's just unbelievable!! Of course I will sign the petition. Thanks for bringing this to my attention...
Thank you Rose!!!! I signed it also!!! I can NOT believe that they want to do this harsh surgery on a out-patint basis.. It is just cruel!
@Wyldrose (1216)
It's not only cruel...it's inhumane.. I can't imagine going home so soon after such a surgery. ugh...just can't picture it.....that's horrible.
I do not think that they are stopping to think! When some women go home they will not have anyone to wait on them. Or help them to the restroom! Or cook for them! It is very heart-less!
@dawnald (84075)
• Shingle Springs, California
This is like when they were making women go home the same day they had a baby, or 2 days if they had a c-section. Outrageous!
Thanks for responding Dawn. I am hoping that more people will come to this discussion and go sign the petition. Whats next Open Heart surgery out-patient....
The biggest problem in this situation is regulation. The insurance companies do the best they can to reduce costs within the law. Unfortunately entrenched bureaucrats don't allow much for change on this front. A great example of the changes needed is a hospital out west(Wyoming or Montana, I can't remember which)that happens to be one of the only hospitals in America turning a consistent profit. They do so despite charging less than most other hospitals. The businessman who run the hospital did a real cost/benefit analysis and made corrections. Drive thru surgery increases complications which drive up costs so recovery time is determined by the doctors that actually care for the patient. Hospitals are a breeding ground for infection(what, with all the sick people in them) so a reasonably recovered patient is kept only as long as necessary to avoid complications before moving to home or another facility to reduce infection rates. departments are better separated so that patients with infections aren't kept near patients trying to avoid infections. Outpatient is for the procedures that are primarily non-invasive(minor surgery or treatment) They also employ better personell management. 8 hour shifts and 40 hour work weeks minimize the mistakes caused by working tired. Doctors, nurses, aids, therapists, etc. have clearly defined jobs to do without the infighting over territory that is found in many hospital systems. Staff are encouraged to participate in policy and to make suggestions to improve it, management takes suggestions seriously in order to provide a better work environment and improved patient care. Administration sees patients as business clients who should be kept happy and well cared for in order to ensure repeat business. By applying good business principles and getting bureaucrats out of the ER they minimize cost, improve patient care and almost entirely avoid malpractice suits which are the biggest expense in medicine.
Thanks so much for responding, i agree the revolving door polices for patients is nuts. Give a person a little time to regroup from a surgery. Don't just rush them out the door. It is so ridiculous ! This does more harm then good lots of times!