What and How Programs Install using Ubuntu OS?

Jamaica
Ubuntu is up and running on my Pc. I can brows the internet listing to music from Yahoo but I cant install anything. If I download, for example, Realplayer for Linux to the desktop and bubble click to install it, I am told " the program to install this file is not available. I would like to know to use Ubuntu/Linux so somebody please help me. Thanks
@cnetboss (2477)
There are several ways to install softwares on Ubuntu. You can use the Add/Remove program on the menu. You can use the Synaptic Manager or the command line installation. Synaptic Manager is much easier and safer.
@likaes (496)
Sounds like you're a new user to ubuntu. I've used it myself in the past, so I know a little, but I'm a little rusty with it. What you need to do is open up a terminal window and type sudo apt-get install realplayer It should prompt you for your password so just type that in and it'll automatically install for you! No need to download anything manually, linux does it for you automatically (which is convenient). check out this video which might help you in the future http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/MoS2007/12_Installing_Applications