Recent Inquiry into Honor Killings in Pakistan

Five women were killed in Pakistan, taken out at gunpoint, shot and then buried while some of them were alive. This happened a while ago, but it came to the attention of the Pakestani governement. One of the ministers from the region said that they shouldn't make a big deal about it. That honor killings were "centuries old tradition," and protected society from the obscene. The obscenity the women were guilty of: choosing their own husbands. Hasn't society progressed beyond this? What does this say about the human race where one country considered a woman for president, is considering a second for vice-president, but another country thinks a woman choosing her own husband is punishable by death? Exactly what is it about women that makes them so inferior to basic human rights?
@stella1989 (2274)
This is a very old tradition of that place... I don't want to say the name but I read it in a woman's magazine ... it was all dedicated to the victimized women around the world, basically in India and Pakistan. There I read about this women who was made to parade naked on the streets of Pakistan because her brother eloped with a girl. the family of the girl where the culprit for this woman.. It left me completely shocked what injustice was happening there and the Pakistani government was also involved in this. I really hate it when ever I hear things like this for women.. I mean there they can divorce a women so easily by just saying "Talaak" three times.. (I guess this tradition is band now) And just to add the flow also read that in Dubai I guess Women was not allowed to drive they can not get a driver's license!! Really disgusting..!!
I read a follow-up article to the case I mentioned above. In it, an older woman in the village (?) where the this incident too place stated that it's a man's world, and these things will always go on. It's unfortunate, but if we don't start making a lot of noise about things like this, she's right. And it's not just women. Most men I know find these kinds of things to be as repugnant as women. This isn't a men vs. women issue, it's a human rights issue. A society can not value 50% of its population so little and not expect problems. I hope people realize that these kind of radical beliefs are the beliefs that our enemies in the Middle East wish to impose on the entire world. When I read about things like this, I am so grateful that I live in a place where having a uterus doesn't ban me from being self-reliant.
The minister is correct when he says that nothing much should be made of these as honour killing is a centuries old tradition. It is alive and kicking in many societies particularly where men, inspite of their machismo, are very very scared to lose their position of supremacy in society to women. Education plays a big big part but so does tradition…men here are basically caught in the time warp of medieval society and for them, the women are only to wed and bed and be good mothers and wives.
If we don't make a something of this, how can we hope to stop this antiquated barbarism from continuing? Just because something is tradition doesn't mean that it can't be changed. Slavery was an accepted tradition of most of the world cultures for over a millenium, but it's not condoned anymore. Granted it still exists, but not in the pervasive form it once did. If people had sat back and said "Slave owners will be slave owners," nothing would have changed. I agree that these men are in some ways fearful of losing their trational roles in their society. But I think there is something much darker here. Human life has no meaning to these people. Being human isn't enough to be entitled to the right of breath, you have to jump other hurdles just to exist. That doesn't work. It never has.