ok we got a fishtank

what are the best types of fish to get?
@Erin88 (348)
It depends on what you like. I think you have to first cycle your tank to get the level of good bacteria up in your tank. Some people don't bother cycling and do ok. I think there is a product out there that you can buy to help promote the growth of good bacteria. I bought some tetras when I first got a tank. They are pretty hardy fish. I still have the same tetras that I started out with two years ago. I also have some catfish in the tank. It isn't a very exciting tank, but the fish are peaceful and easy to care for. In a different tank I had small puffer fish. Those were harder to keep. I had to buy special food to feed them. I am not sure what I did wrong with those fish, but they didn't quite live a year. I only have one tank going right now. There are some very good books about tropical fish out there that could give you more information on the different types of fish and their requirements. The people at the store where you buy the fish can also be helpful in making sure that the fish you choose will get along. I'm sure you will also get a lot of good advice from people here as well.
@redkathy (3375)
You are correct that some people don't cycle and do fine. I believe in it because it has been my experience that the fish tend to stay healthier and live longer. If you do a salt water tank it is vital to cycle the water for a few days with live rock in the tank. After that one should add some cheap fish and wait another week to stabilize ph, alkali levels,salt levels among other things.
thank u for responding. i really do appreciate it. that is awesome. i will look into it. we were looking into getting mollys or those fancy tail fish or gold fish the big ones with the big eyes. lol not sure thought. thanks again
The fish that I have are neon tetra,dwarf gouramis,and catfish.Very easy fish to take care of.Look on the internet really useful information.
so cool thanks for the advice i will look into it.