Emissions testing for cars

@lilybug (21145)
Does the area you live in require an Emissions test to be done on your vehicle before you can register it and get plates? When I lived in the city I had to have one, but out here in the country it is nor required. My sister and I were just talking about it and she thinks it is stupid since the emissions affect the air everywhere. Do you have to take your car in for an emissions test?
@Sillychick (3279)
Where I live (I believe this is state-wide) you have 10 days after registering a car to get it inspected for safety. The inspection includes emissions, seat belts, tires, emergency brake, lights and probably more. It is nice that they give you 10 days because you'd have to drive the car without plates in order to get it inspected or fixed if you didn't buy it at a dealer. The inspection needs to be redone every year. I agree with your sister that emissions affect the air everywhere. But in the city there are more cars and therefore a higher concentration of pollution from automobiles. Plus, each city or municipality can make its own laws, so it's good that the city was being proactive about keeping the air breathable for its residents.
@lilybug (21145)
Our safety and emissions are 2 different tests here and you have to take a car 2 different places to get it done. When I lived in Illinois we did not have safety OR emissions testing.