Cell phones for children

Everywhere you look children have cell phones. Do you think it is alright for children to have cell phones? Do your children have cell phones and if you dont have children, if you did have children would you let them have cell phones? What age do you think is right to give them one?
@nanayangel (7862)
Hi there Pickles! It would be very hard to decide because there are lots of factors that can be considered. I think the most important of it all is does your child need it? I think that if you're working and you're leaving your child with a babysitter or some relative, your child needs it. As long as your child knows how to use it properly, then you can give him or her one. Another is the price, if you can afford it. It doesn't end in buying the mobile phone. Load or bills will follow. Next is if it will be safe for your child to carry around something that's of value so it depends upon the surroundings or the environment. Because if it's not safe, it may just put the life of your child in danger. My son is five years old and when I', in school, my husband or my mom keeps an eye on him and they both have mobile phones so I don't see a need for my child to have one.
thanks for responding
You're welcome and thank you very much for choosing my post as the best response. God bless and have a nice day.
I don't see anything wrong with children with cell phones as long as it is for the right reasons . A cell phone is used for emergencies , to let someone know where you are or when you will be coming home . That is was our cell phones are used for . The cell phones compaines are making a fortune off of these text messages and everything else you can do on them and can get hooked really easy into buying ring tones and what not off the internet . It can become very addicting to young children so as long as it is being used accordingly , I don't have a problem with children using cell phones . If there parents want to pay a bill for text messaging then I guess it is up to them . My son has a cell phone and he is 13 but he uses his for emergencies . He has a pay as you go phone and it is used to let us know where he is , what he is doing and when he will be home and you never know when he may need to get a hold of us because he is hurt and that makes me feel more comfortable knowing he has it if he needs it , but he doesn't do any of the text messaging or downloading from the interenet with it .
i agree with that. Thanks for responding
@reoko10 (578)
I think it would be nice for kids to have cell phone so that if there in any trouble then they can call for help, but I worry that the bill on that cell phone will go way up. I don't think I could handle that right not wel I mean my money can't handle that.
thanks for responding
My son is 13 and he had a cell phone for about 2 years, until I couldn't afford to pay for both anymore. I gave it to him because he was old enough to walk to his friend's houses or go look at something at the store without me. Just wanted to be able to reach him whenever I needed to. I think when kids reach the age where they can do things on their own, it's ok to get them a cell as long as they are responsible with it.
that makes a lot of sense good answer :) thanks for responding
My kids are too little yet to have one. I think once they are in Jr High perhaps it would more age appropriate for them to have one. I've seen kids in my ODD's school with them & I"m just shocked they are in grade school hardly old enough to be trusted with a key let alone a cell phone. But as long as there's something like firefly or the new t-mobile dealie where you can set their limits on things it shouldn't be too awful. But again my kids won't be getting them til their older provided they haven't become obsolete by then.
good answer . thankd for taking then time to respond